Home Forums General Anyone still think brexit was a good idea ?

Paul of Southampton Posted 2 months ago
Anyone still think brexit was a good idea ?
2 likes & 78 replies
    • Brighton Belle 12th October 2021 at 10:42 am

No I voted to stop in knew be problems right from start cut our nose off to spite our face as the saying goes…

• George W 12th October 2021 at 10:52 am

It was never a good idea to start with as the current mess now shows .

• MikeyG 12th October 2021 at 10:54 am

I dont think it would be right to blame everything our country is facing presently on just Brexit, we have had a ‘perfect storm’ recently with Brexit, Covid and also the container ship getting stuck in the Suez canal for 106 days which cause a massive delay globally in goods deliveries,

There were always going to be teething issues no mater which political party was in charge, the issue now is all the remainers using the current problems to blame the Government and those who chose to leave….we live in a democracy and have the right to choose without judgement

• Paul of Southampton 12th October 2021 at 12:05 pm

Not everything is the fault of brexit, but it makes things a lot worse. No other major economy has problems as bad as us – food, fuel, driver etc shortages, troops called in. Some is down to the mis-government of this incompetent government.

• MikeyG 12th October 2021 at 1:31 pm

Most of Europe has the same issues with Food, driver shortages etc, There never was a fuel shortage, that was cause by idiots panic buying, the pumps run dry which then causes further panic…and there wasnt the drivers to transport and deliver the fuel efficiently or timely, so everywhere runs out…then we have a situation of supply & demand which then puts prices of fuel up, its a vicious circle caused by panic buying

• Daisychain 12th October 2021 at 1:49 pm

Look at Yellowhammer. This mess was predicted by the government for a no deal scenario but with such a poor negotiation it’s come to pass anyway. Covid has masked the problems until now but considering the plight of this country and how other countries are fairing, I believe Brexit knocked the nails in our coffin.

• Reverend Nick 12th October 2021 at 11:15 am

It no longer matters wether it was a good idea or not – it has happened. One thing’s for sure; it’ll be a long time before they hold another referendum – about anything.

• Gerard371 12th October 2021 at 12:12 pm

I think the conservative government was taken aback when the majority voted no.
        You pay government officials to manage how the country is run, they are supposed to be the experts, yet the throw a major decision back at the public.
        It like a surgeon asking if you want to you your scars to run vertically or horizontally, when he should know which is best.

• Brighton Belle 12th October 2021 at 12:43 pm

Boris needs to do one ……

• Steve in Kent 12th October 2021 at 1:08 pm

Last Labour PM voted in couldn’t wait to get us in a war and his mate Gordon sold our Gold at knock down price. They are all as bad as each other making promises to get in

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 19th October 2021 at 2:13 pm

It doesn’t matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

Not quite such a shallow quote as some may think, different colour rosettes, same self-interest.

• Photojournal 23rd October 2021 at 7:20 am

Agreed on all points, not a fan of Gordon Brown or Blair, but to be 100% accurate the UK gold was sold in two lots, one was a lot earlier when the UK abandoned the gold standard in 1931, then Gordon Brown sold the remaining reserves when the gold price was at its lowest.. which makes you wonder about the fact that some people out there must’ve made a killing in that transaction…

• Moriarty 12th October 2021 at 2:21 pm

Plus we have a media which seems intent on exacerbating issues.

• TmonT 12th October 2021 at 3:06 pm

100% even more now than when I voted

• goldfish63 12th October 2021 at 4:45 pm

Well I am glad we left the EU as seen the unfairness at close hand, I was in Spain when we were in the Union twice and went to shop at Lidl there, well the prices in Spain were half the prices of Lidl in the UK, more variety and they were even selling British products cheaper than here, not fair do you not think? supposed to be the same across the Union but it was not, cars are cheaper in Europe than the UK, our fishing standards were a joke and so the list goes on, we are better off outside and free to trade elsewhere!!!

• SelsdonLion 12th October 2021 at 9:51 pm

Yes but don’t let that stop you having a really good moan 🙄

• Shirlann 13th October 2021 at 12:14 pm

Probably not but too late now 🙃not sure what we got 🤔

• catay53 14th October 2021 at 12:22 pm

Yes, me. I would vote the same again.

• catay53 14th October 2021 at 12:24 pm

yes me and i would vote the same again.

Have a great day everyone.

• Longhotsummer1 14th October 2021 at 12:34 pm

Brexit has its ups and downs , but the bigger picture was Cameron who instigated it all , then just walked away !!
      Poor Teresa , back and forth to be sent packing , then Boris , it’s all the Tories fault to start with , many people must now be wondering how inept they are !!

• Reverend Nick 15th October 2021 at 10:01 am

You’re quite right – Cameron only held held the referendum because he thought he couldn’t lose! There’s a lesson!

Currently though:
        That the Prime Minster has a history of being a lair has been proven.
        That’s he is incompetent is readily apparent.
        That he is corrupt seems highly likely.

The real problem is that many of his supporters don’t care about any of the above. The reasons are varied but the current self-centred “get in there” culture is one of the main ones. . The one ability the Prime Minister does have in spades is to get people who he openly despises to cheerfully vote for him.

• Terry75 15th October 2021 at 9:52 am

Absolutely. For me it wasn’t about money, trade etc it was about Sovereignty and keeping our national identity and not being a region in Federal Europe.

• Paul of Southampton 15th October 2021 at 2:09 pm

Oh dear oh dear, another quitter that laps up the nonsense they get fed.

• Terry75 16th October 2021 at 4:03 am

I didn’t lap up any nonsense matey. I wanted out long before the debate began. I’ve 32 years in uniform across two services and put my country before any selfish monetary benefits I might get from being governed by Brussels.

• Paul of Southampton 18th October 2021 at 11:13 am

WE have always had sovereignty, and have never been governed by Brussels, so you you do just lap it up.

• Terry75 19th October 2021 at 2:17 pm

Sadly not, as reported today where the EU is taking action against Poland because it is giving its courts primacy over the EU courts. All are destined to be regions of Federal Europe. Governed by an appointed President and where appointed Kommissars can over rule decisions made by MEP’s. If we are to learn the lessons of history it can quite clearly be seen that all Empires eventually come tumbling down as will the European one. God Save the Queen.

• Paul of Southampton 19th October 2021 at 4:13 pm

Yawn

• Terry75 19th October 2021 at 4:17 pm

Likewise. All you remoaners can think about is money, money, money sad people get some pride.

• Paul of Southampton 21st October 2021 at 1:13 pm

What is that supposed to mean ?

• Terry75 22nd October 2021 at 6:46 am

This really is getting boring. Democracy prevailed and we’re out.

• Paul of Southampton 22nd October 2021 at 1:28 pm

unable to answer I see. I’m not surprised

• Deleted User 22nd October 2021 at 10:16 pm

Do you realise that without money the place is screwed and the way it’s going no one is going to want the pound at some point.
          Tell me how we trade with the world then.

• Deleted User 22nd October 2021 at 10:15 pm

That people like you still exist is scary!

• Terry75 23rd October 2021 at 9:35 am

People like me? This person has worked full time for 49 years, 32 in uniform across two services. People like me are entitled to vote as they see fit, the majority voted as I did. If we’d remained I would have accepted that as the democratic process. This country did fine before the “Common Market” which has now become a Federal Europe, which having, served my country I do not want to be a part of. Whats scary to me is that people like you cannot accept the democratic process when it doesn’t go as you want and all you talk about is money. This place isn’t “screwed” as you so eloquently put it and trade deals are being put in place. As for a shortage of labour my Lithuanian mate told me its because grants have been made to his country and others which means they can now earn a decent wage in their own country and don’t need to come here. Don’t reply because I’m getting quite bored with this. We voted out accept it and get in with helping make it work instead of moaning about it. Have a nice day.

• goldfish63 15th October 2021 at 10:23 pm

You can always get a boat from Southampton to France and on to Europe if you like it so much move there!!!

• Cheeseman dave 16th October 2021 at 12:07 pm

Was never a good idea in the first place .. we should have never exited

• loislane 19th October 2021 at 2:57 pm

I was hoping we could have used it to sling out Sadiq khan…

• 650cc dominator 2 22nd October 2021 at 10:06 am

Of course it is. They just wanted our money. It was only us and Germany that was paying in. All the other countries we’re taking money out.
      We were a great country before Europe and we can be great again once we overcome the damage that’s done by Europe.

• Alan J 22nd October 2021 at 9:10 pm

I never believed in either Brexit or Remain, the only answer was Fixit,
      but do you honestly think we would actually be able to decide?
      You only have to look at the Morons in Politics, and every high office to realise that, some things are decided anyway.

• Christine Robertson 22nd October 2021 at 10:02 pm

I think it’s been a tragedy. It’s caused nothing but trouble, enemies, sadness, family divisions.. Need I go on 😡

• Linde 23rd October 2021 at 9:54 am

Hi, Paul, no, never thought it was a good idea in the first place! It has stopped my son from realising his dream of settling in the country of his grandparents, and he is heart broken! I find it particularly upsetting, as I still hold an Austrian passport, which counts for absolutely nothing as far as re- patriation is concerned. So, one more life ruined. Anyway, circumstances outside our control.

• Shirlann 23rd October 2021 at 11:55 am

Wondering if people still think it was good 🤔can you tell me what we achieve or got?

Add