Home Forums Family & Relationships Anyone else miss hugs?

Coast66 Posted 2 years ago
Anyone else miss hugs?

Us humans need a hug sometimes you know.

38 likes & 110 replies
    • KC-Cornwall 7th December 2020 at 10:01 pm

I used to go into work every morning and hug my way through the department until I got to my office. I’ve been working from home since the first lockdown and have missed my hugs SO much. On my own at home so a hug free zone 😥

• Jannat 8th December 2020 at 7:13 am

In one word….yes!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 8th December 2020 at 3:27 pm

Emotional and physical love are the foundation of happiness The current social distancing rules have made that almost impossible (and many are already reserved and reticent )
      Cannot wait for touchy feely moments again

• Beautiful Defender 12th December 2020 at 7:22 pm

Just seen this and whole heartedly agree..hugs are essential to life thank you fior putting it into words

• Mary M 13th December 2020 at 2:28 am

Hugs are a basic human need and friends can grow apart without them. Virtual hugs will never replace a good old proper cuddle. I think the whole world will go mad for cuddles when all this is over. Let’s hope so!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 10:41 am

I wonder how hesitant we will be .. I mean as soon as we have had jabs do you think it will be a free for all!!

• Mary A 17th January 2021 at 11:06 am

I’m beginning to doubt that Gill. It would be fantastic if this was the case but I think it’ll be much more gradual. Not sure that I’ll feel comfortable hugging friends for quite a while. Flip! What do you think? Hope you enjoyed Andy’s party for Raine last night. I bet she’ll be so chuffed to see how many folk turned up. 😃

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 11:15 am

That Andy is sooo funny .. a good man I imagine. It was a bit of tongue in cheek fun!! I wasn’t really dancing and singing honest!! I hope Raine notices that we had a ‘gathering’ in her honour!

I know what you mean .. we will all be taking lead from each other. Not that I really have anyone to hug. It will be a curious thing. Once one person is rave enough in the group you are in, I am sure it will be ‘oh come on then’. I still don’t think it will be until much later in the year, and not the first time we meet everyone!

• Mary A 17th January 2021 at 4:49 pm

Lovely new profile pic Gill. Yes, has Raine been back on Restless since the party in her honour? Hope so.
          Yeah, I think we’ll all be a bit reticent at first then when we know it’s safe it’ll be non-stop cuddling all round. Everyone will be making up for lost time. 😃

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 4:51 pm

Ah thanks. This was taken about 2 weeks ago when I set up my new laptop. The other was 4 years ago. Thought I’d go for recent! lol..

I haven’t noticed Raine. I am not even sure she knows there was a party in her honour!!

• Mary A 17th January 2021 at 5:08 pm

She will soon I hope. Andy will be delighted if she finds out about all the folk who turned up for her party. 😃

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 4:56 pm

I see you are a piano teacher. Are still teaching through Zoom? I have a friend who has been doing that, but I wonder how feasible it is. I did learn a bit as a child but mum stopped the lessons (I used to get so cross when I couldn’t get it right). I can read music in treble clef anyway, a bit slower with bass, mainly because I have sung in choirs wherever we have lived for most of my life (few interludes where work got in the way basically). I also know where the keys are on the piano… ripe for teaching myself really… I even know the first scale you learn (can’t remember what its called but it starts on middle see, I even know what it sounds like lol …. 123 1234 123 12345 4321 321 4321 321)

• Mary A 17th January 2021 at 5:05 pm

Well done….. huge big ⭐️ for you. Fingering of the C scale perfect Gill!
          Zoom is working well and I’ve fortunately not lost any pupils because of it. I have 26 per week so I’m kept busy. I love it though. I used to be a class teacher but that was a tad more stressful than this! I’m winding down to retirement now as I’ve just turned 55. Might just keep going at this for years though. How about you? So you’re a singer? Brill!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 5:15 pm

I love singing. Soprano although at school I used to sing alto and that is what I thought I was until I had singing lessons years later! Now I know I am not an alto .. and struggle to sing that low.

Teaching is so stressful and tiring on the feet too. Working for yourself gets you away from the politics of work. I am pleased you have managed to continue with the lessons – I am not surprised that you haven’t lost any, parents (if the pupils are children) are just glad there is something to entertain them!

Still working (had a little time off to look after hubby in the last few months – and then took rest of year off because I could and I wanted to regroup – did some voluntary work with dementia activity groups which I absolutely loved). My work is an admin role – enjoy it – but sooo busy – too busy actually. Keeps me out of trouble, my days fly by but I am pretty shattered on the weekends. Its good to know that I could retire if I want though.

Do you sing at all? Are you with a choir?

• Mary A 17th January 2021 at 5:27 pm

I’m an alto Gill and used to sing in choirs but I always work in the evening so it’s very anti-social. Hopefully next year I’ll have fewer pupils and maybe an evening off to join a community choir.
          Sad to hear about your husband. It’s good to keep busy though as long as it’s not too much! I’m not sure that I fancy the idea of being totally retired.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 6:22 pm

Alto .. with a scottish accent lol. Its funny that we don’t know what we sound like (well it is to me). Sometimes beautiful lines to sing, and at others more challenging whilst the sopranos get a tune!!!

Its hard to define retirement really because it means different things to different people. Some of the community choirs here meet in the day time rather than the evening. I do like choral music though. My biggest fear is singing without music !!! A confidence thing because I barely look at it, but it is my prompt …

I guess for me having an idea of what I want to do with my time is key. We shall see. I could still be working in 2023!

• Mary A 17th January 2021 at 6:31 pm

I love the harmonies sung with a Scottish accent. 😂🤣 Oh, I must look out for a choir that meets during the day. Working on my own is fine but I miss the camaraderie of other folk…… and singing of course. I’ve heard about the University of the 3rd Age. Sounds interesting….maybe something to think about in 2023. 😃

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 6:45 pm

U3A is very good and they do all sorts of activities … depends on the area you live in as to what is on offer.

I love a scottish accent.. well actually I love accents .. its lovely to hear welsh singing .. we all bring something to the table with our various dialects. Of course if its choral its supposed to be in latin! lol

Start planning what you want to do with your time and see whats available… 🙂

• Mary A 17th January 2021 at 6:58 pm

Thanks Gill, yes, I’ll look into what’s out there for when we’ve all had our vaccine. Can’t wait and I bet you’re the same!

• KC-Cornwall 13th December 2020 at 6:59 pm

Anyone in this thread from Cornwall?

• Glad31 13th December 2020 at 7:24 pm

Definitely missing the hugs! My two cats have been my huggables since Covid started – they have been hugged to death by now though and have started to run off when they see me coming! Hopefully 2021 will be the year of the hugs. 🤗

• Grapes 16th December 2020 at 10:14 pm

Yes we do I agree

• Will998 16th December 2020 at 10:46 pm

Sure do!! 😀

• Grapes 20th December 2020 at 11:08 pm

Hi Will how long have you been on this site I’m a newby .but everyone seems friendly I did speak to you the other day I think

• Deleted User 17th December 2020 at 3:13 pm

Yes indeed, I’m a hugger by nature lol

• Apicella 18th December 2020 at 4:41 pm

30 second hug………

• Grapes 19th December 2020 at 7:15 am

No I hug and kiss my little dog .cuddles kisses he is my baby

• Adeline 19th December 2020 at 10:42 am

It seems a 20 sec hug releases all the happy hormones, seratonin, dopamine and oxytocin, just saying 😀

• Mumma 22nd December 2020 at 2:19 pm

It’s not fair when you see family or friends and you can’t hug them

• Northern lass 29th December 2020 at 4:38 pm

Absolutely

• Caroline0359 3rd January 2021 at 5:53 pm

Big time . Havent had a proper hug since my husband passed away Nov 2017.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 10:37 am

Me too.. well not quite true, husband had dementia so 80% of the time i was someone he didn’t hug. the 20% he absolutely knew I was his wife was spattered through out a 24% period and usually wasn’t long enough for a hug .. he would just stand there and receive a hug .. not the same..

• Caroline0359 17th January 2021 at 11:37 am

That’s so tough for you Gill. Dementia is such a cruel disease.
          For him not to recognise you 80%of the time is so hard. I cant think of anything worse.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 17th January 2021 at 11:48 am

I had to come to terms with it pretty quickly then it was ok. In his world he absolutely knew who I was .. Its just I knew I wasn’t the wife. He would ask me questions about how I was, how members of my family were. Was I married. Did I have children. I could be male, female, adult, child (the latter if I were kneeling or sitting on the floor) … he nearly always knew who I was .. he was just wrong. That was for about 4 years in all. A challenge if he was worrying about where Gill was .. but its par for the course, especially for the type of dementia he had. He was a dear even with his dementia bless him…. but I just had to shake off any expectation of him being my husband …. A relief when it was over though .. and both of us were ready for the parting when it happened.

• Caroline0359 17th January 2021 at 2:44 pm

As a nurse I have met, nurses a lot of people with dementia. I have been very lucky on a personal level in that I have only had one relative with dementia she also had a debilitating physical illness with it. I remember visiting her one time , she lived in Ireland so I rarely saw her. And for a nano second I thought I saw a spark of recognition in her eyes . It was so fleeting . I found that so hard as I had always been close to her.
          I can only try to imagine dealing with that every day. I have huge respect for you and others that do .

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 15th March 2021 at 2:24 pm

Caroline it is so hard to face meeting someone who may or may not realise who you are. They are still there. The distance that she lived from you would have made it so much harder for you.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 15th March 2021 at 8:05 am

Gill, your experience and your words really moved me, you are an amazing woman, a woman tha can now move forward, a wonderful loving fruitful life that was had, fond memories of past time, Gill, this is your time, relish and delight in it, your positivity and your sunny outlook will shine, your smile is infectious, your words are an inspiration to many. all the very best for your future.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 15th March 2021 at 2:15 pm

Thank you so much Steve. I really appreciate what you say. It is my time, and I am absolutely loving finding out who I am and what I really want for me. Its tough at times, but at my centre is a sense of peace. I have a wise and special counsellor who has helped me through a huge healing process from Rob’s diagnoses in 2011 to date.

• rachelj66 8th January 2021 at 8:14 pm

Yes a hug and and a face to face conversation can make the world seem a better place

• Dutch Sonja 9th January 2021 at 11:26 am

Yes I do especially living alone. I almost wanted to hug the plumber just anyone would do. Poor man 😔.

• Fiona Mobbs 17th January 2021 at 11:01 am

Definitely missing social times with friends

• Larnette 17th January 2021 at 12:41 pm

Aw definitely miss hugs.. My Dauggter lives miles away. I see her the other day when she was dropping children at their dads closeby. I could only talk to her from a distance.

• Larnette 17th January 2021 at 12:46 pm

I do wonder, when will hugging ever be the same!!
      I mean introductory hugs or hugging friends you haven’t seen for ages! Just spontaneous hugs!!
      We won’t know if everyone has been vaccinated, some people for whatever reason won’t!

It may be a case of “Is it okay for a hug?”

Hug etiquette 🤷🏻‍♀️🤗

• Teresa Ann Francesca 17th January 2021 at 3:38 pm

YES, desperately

• Mumma 17th January 2021 at 5:32 pm

I miss hugs so much with my family and friends

• Heyjude68 17th January 2021 at 7:42 pm

Miss them very much yes 🤗

• Autumnalwalksara 26th February 2021 at 10:30 pm

Absolutely. I miss my relatives, friends. Can’t wait for all this to be over.

• Sylvia2021 27th February 2021 at 10:08 am

I live with some of my adult children and a dog so get lots of hugs. I lost my husband in May and don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t lived with them. My mail love language is physical.

• Mimulus 27th February 2021 at 11:48 am

No because l come from a family who did not go in for hugging each other. On the odd occasion l have been hugged l tense up. Those who hug me once usually don’t try again

• EnglishgirlinWales 27th February 2021 at 11:59 am

I miss that kind of hug that just lets you melt, that takes all your worries away, the “I’ve got you” hug – given by anyone who knows, loves and cares for you!

And the granddaughters hugs too of course

• Marica 27th February 2021 at 12:16 pm

From me to everyone

• Northern lass 28th February 2021 at 5:53 pm

Absolutely 🤗

Add