Home Forums Music Anyone like David Bowie?

Vervain Posted 2 years ago
Anyone like David Bowie?

23 likes & 19 replies
    • Deleted User 19th November 2020 at 10:19 am

Absolutely massive yes from me!!!
      Been a fan since I was 14 (I’m now 63) Seen him 5 times. I’ve been listening to lots of his stuff during lockdown. My current ‘blast from the past’ is Heart’s Filthy Lesson. Official video is just so dark and creepy, I love it. Also love this live version. Such a beautiful, talented man. Sadly missed :'(

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrP4lFFRbZf4UQAoGEM34lQ;_ylu=Y29sbwNpcjIEcG9zAzEEdnRpZANDMDQ1M18xBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=hearths+filthy+lesson+live&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee#action=view&id=16&vid=4a6f88969d174ac9dca6316865cae9ba

• Vervain 19th November 2020 at 11:13 am

I have liked him since l was 16 l saw him live five times. The last one was the Reality Tour at NEC Birmingham two and half hours with no break. It was the best show ever.

• New member 20th October 2021 at 2:46 pm

Oh yes, also a huge fan here. I never tire of his music. He is very much missed I regret that I never saw him live.

• mark-e-mark 19th November 2020 at 10:53 am

Oh yes, massive fan of Bowie! Weirdly, I didn’t get into him until very late – probably about 2013 when I properly got on board after he released Next Day. Suddenly that gave me a new perspective and a gateway into his back catalogue. In a sense, I was lucky that I had that entire body of work to start enjoying – although I wish I’d have woken up to how brilliant he was sooner.

Favourite album is probably Station to Station, but frankly he was a pure genius (a very, very rare thing – overused term generally, but fully warranted for David Bowie) with incredible ability to cross genres and boundaries. I like so much of his stuff for different reasons, and for different times/moods.

I was supposed to see him at a festival in 2004, but he had a heart attack and was replaced as headliner by the Strokes. At the time, I wasn’t that disappointed – would have been nice to see him but there was plenty else I was more excited about back then. Little did I know that a few years later, he’d cement himself as one of my all time favourites. What I wouldn’t give to have seen him now…

Recently moved to Penge, bordering Beckenham where he lived and spent much of his youth. There’s a lightning bolt on the pavement there as a tribute to him, he also played his first gigs a couple of roads away from where I live – and also mentions Penge in one of his early songs, Did You Ever Have a Dream (I have to admit, probably not one of his finest efforts!). But I do like thinking that DB walked the same streets I do now…!

• adeliza0165 22nd March 2021 at 8:43 am

To be in an area where he once walked sounds just amazing! 😉 Love all his music, particularly the earlier stuff like, life on Mars, slow burn, space oddity, wild is the wind, absolute beginners and others like hallo spaceboy and scary monsters – great sounds.

• HalloweenJack 20th November 2020 at 9:04 am

Huge fan here. Liked him since I was about 14 or 15 so circa 75. I had tentatively moved way from Glam Rock which was starting to fade and discovered Queen through Seven Seas Of Rhye and Now I’m Here (imperious) . A friend of mine lent me Hunky Dory and it had the lyrics in the sleeve. I had only ever read lyrics in Look-In magazine to that point! Suddenly I had the fantastic music with lyrics beyond young love etc. Some were profound (Changes/Oh You Pretty Things) some were deliciously indecipherable (Bewlay Brothers for example) and that added to the mystery. It kind of lit the flames of literary interest and poetry in me and I can honestly say he was the key that unlocked my young mind. Later in life I discovered Pink Floyd, who opened things even further but I eve rlost my love of Bowie. But Bowie was the huge life chaging event for me, the first thing that changed my outlook, made me think, made me challenge and gave me gthe wherewithall to forge my own path in life. I had every album up to Scary Monsters and then life got in the way. In the last few years with working from home being my normality since 2017 I have listened to all the stuff since, some works, some doesn’t, but the last 2 albums were superb. For me picking a favourite album or track is akin to picking your favourite child. However it’s probably between Aladdin Sane , Diamond Dogs, Young Americans or Station To Station for me as my favourite album. I bought a DVD of his Glastonbury set from 2000 and it is a stunning concert, a man and band at ease with the work and each other and the occasion. I maintain the world went to crap the minute he died 🙂

• Deleted User 20th November 2020 at 12:28 pm

Hi guys

Don’t know if you are aware of this concert happening on his birthday in Jan? I have my ticket. Really looking forward to it.
      Featuring the fab musicians who played with him for years – Mike Garson, Carlos Alomar, Gail-Ann Dorsey and many others.

https://rollinglivestudios.com/

• Monika 16th January 2021 at 2:35 pm

Me too!! Bowie is one of my very favourites, not quite up there with Pink Floyd but still a great talent.

• Summerhouse 21 18th January 2021 at 1:19 pm

I love Bowie. His music was so different , all the time. He came to my 60th Birthday Party ! (a cardboard cutout). It’s really sad, that he died so young.

• Catwoman 20th January 2021 at 5:34 pm

Love Bowie thanks to my older brother. Saw him on the Glass Spider tour in the 80s I think that was. Much prefer his earlier stuff though

• adeliza0165 22nd March 2021 at 8:28 am

Love his music and how he reinvented himself over the years. Regret that I never got the chance to see him live but did see a lookalike singer a few years ago – not quite the same but he was very good!

• Dreamyboy 22nd March 2021 at 2:35 pm

Always adored him and bought all his albums – saw him live at Milton Keynes Bowl and he was brilliant, then unfortunately broke my ankle and so had close up view of him at Wembley leaning right next to stage when he spent whole performance looking bored and checking time to end of concert which was when my admiration died somewhat.

• Mark1961 29th March 2021 at 12:24 am

Been a big fan for many years,saw him at Wembley in 1987 on the Glass Spider tour.I think my fave album is Station to Station.

• Riley23 3rd April 2021 at 1:58 am

Yes, lots of people. He’s really is quite popular. 😉
      I think I got into him in about ’78, but I never saw him live. I had a chance to see him at Maine Road in his ‘pop’ years (Glass Spider?), but didn’t fancy that. I’d love to have seen him touring Outside. I have a recording from rehearsals for that tour that’s superb.
      I still play albums from across his career (though not ‘Tonight’, awful) and have a strange fondness for his first Decca album.

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 20th April 2021 at 10:36 pm

Without Bowie, music is pointless.

• Vixster 25th April 2021 at 2:47 pm

There’s currently another thread on this very topic. He was my musical hero of course and influenced my life in many ways like learning German and living there for a period. Now if only I could go into space …….

• Deleted User 25th April 2021 at 2:51 pm

NOPE

• Kenton 20th October 2021 at 3:20 pm

He is absolute legend, no doubt about it. 🧑‍🏫

• goldfish63 20th October 2021 at 4:47 pm

He is a legend 🙂

Add