Home Forums House & Home Anyone know what these are?

• Anyone know what these are?

These have been sitting in our shed for quite some time. They were given to me by my dad who died 2 years ago – he said that they were Cider jugs – and they were his Mum’s before him. I’m looking to get them restored but despite research I can’t find any thing similar on the web. They’re Oak and bound with iron, I think. Any help would be amazing! Thank you! 🙏

Attachments:
    Posted by aljlemp
    • Reply by Dorothea

Cider jugs seem to be shaped like traditional jugs, and even cider barrels don’t seem to be this shape

They seem more like wooden milk pails or the sort of barrel used for butter churning.

It might be worth googling for agricultural / rural museums and emailing them.

• Reply by Lss58

I bet if you took them to Reginald Ballum (antiques) in Rowlands road Worthing , he would know what they are ..

• Reply by aljlemp

Thanks Lss58. Found someone locally to do it. Think that they might be grain measures as they don’t have a spout. Who knows! Happy Christmas.

• Reply by PeaceLily

I would agree they look like old wooden milk pails to me too.

• Reply by Anonymous User

Obviously some receptacle they have a ridge and a lip so presume at some time they had lids. they look quite old if the iron rings are all OK, I would not do much to them but give them a clean up with fine steel wool 00 grade. (just to get the dirt off) use some steel wool to give them a nice coat of antique wax, leave them a few days, then polish with a soft cloth they will come up wonderful. Please do not over do a restoration or they will be ruined

• Reply by aljlemp

Thanks, Owdtyke – Took your advice and had them tidied up. Thanks for your response. Happy Christmas to you.

Attachments:
        • Reply by Anonymous User

It looks absolutely wonderful just an occasional rub over with some wax and a polish to keep that patina it will look a constant delight to the eye.

• Reply by Nikkir

Hi there – I looked these up on a google app called lens on my phone – it could be for measuring either a peck or a half peck, so it says from middle England . The app – lens – searches out images – give it a go.

• Reply by aljlemp

Amazing. Thank you Nikkir.

• Reply by Nikkir

You’re welcome it’s a great app for the phone I use it a lot.

Add