Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure Anyone here go geocaching?

Deleted User Posted 1 year ago
Anyone here go geocaching?

Spent the afternoon geocaching around Wye with my youngest.
Really enjoy looking for the caches and having a reason to explore new places.
Does anyone else go?

For those not familiar with geocaching, there are logbooks hidden all around the world. The free app tells you were they are, you find them, sign the book and log it on the app 😀

7 likes & 38 replies
    • BridgetWren 24th February 2021 at 7:02 pm

I’d never heard of it! I’ll be checking it out. What a great concept!

• Colin in Kent 24th February 2021 at 7:32 pm

Wow, I’ve never heard of that. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

• Andy Paddles 24th February 2021 at 7:46 pm

It’s a great way to keep kids (and big kids too 🙄) engaged with the outdoors. Cumbria is a bit of geocache paradise, however I suspect it must be pretty interesting in less rural environments.

Happy caching!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 24th February 2021 at 8:15 pm

Sounds a great idea to me! Robson green was doing something similar on his Hadrian’s wall walk – not sure if it’s the same thing. I like the idea!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 24th February 2021 at 9:33 pm

Have dipped into geocaching on and off. Not done it in a while as kids are getting older and not so interested. Did have over 150 finds, including one in Slovakia when I went there for a wedding! It is good fun.

• Deleted User 25th February 2021 at 3:47 pm

Your mobile smart phone will work for geocaching provided the compass is enabled. Great fun and very cheap, and yes the “rule” is if you take you replace. There are also trackers which are great fun. You move them from where you find them to another cache on their route so say north to south if its heading for Portsmouth for instance. You can keep an eye on them on line and see what progress they make.

• Deleted User 25th February 2021 at 6:40 pm

I wish that I’d heard of this sooner. It sounds really interesting. I’m now wondering how many geocaches I’ve walked past to date & never noticed !!

• redman 25th February 2021 at 7:32 pm

if you dont use a smatt phone , how do you do it

• Rachel29 25th February 2021 at 7:39 pm

I spent a happy afternoon out hunting today! More walking than finding but it was a lovely time outside.

• Deleted User 26th February 2021 at 7:23 am

Did you find many?
        I have one cache near me that I’ve been looking for for about five years.
        Other people find it all the time but I can’t a see it 😂

• janedefrancesco 25th February 2021 at 8:40 pm

I’ve never heard of this but it seems interesting

• 🏴‍☠️ 25th February 2021 at 11:16 pm

If you’re ever at a Center Parcs, for a small fee they give you a pre programmed GPS and send you off on your walk and you navigate around waypoints, quite good fun for kids.

The one I did was about 12 or so different points and once you knew what you were looking for, like fake rocks etc, it added another dimension to the place because suddenly there are all these hidden things around you that otherwise you wouldn’t notice.

Of course you don’t need to be in Center Parcs and that’s the beauty of the great outdoors & GeoCaching communities that are out there for free, and which are and readily available.

• CaroleD 26th February 2021 at 8:14 am

My husband started geocaching in October, he upgraded to the paid version as that shows far more to look for. Can’t walk anywhere now without having to look for a cache.
      As you say it does encourage you to go to different places.

• Deleted User 26th February 2021 at 1:43 pm

I’m off out again this afternoon with my youngest. She’s now got her own account so we’re having to go back over a few 🙂

• Bev reed 26th February 2021 at 8:29 am

We keep thinking of doing this. Will look it up

• Daffodil 26th February 2021 at 11:49 am

Which app did you use?

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 26th February 2021 at 1:36 pm

I just love this idea.. gonna follow that link you gave earlier!

• mel 26th February 2021 at 3:33 pm

Yes, geocaching is great! In fact it’s one of the only ways I can persuade my children out for a walk….definitely recommend it too, but like you we have one nearby that we just can’t seem to find despite hours of searching!

• AngieDay 27th February 2021 at 12:18 am

Ah, I saw this on tv the other day on a programme about Hadrian’s wall, you have reminded me to give it a go 😀

• Judes 27th February 2021 at 7:54 pm

I was just reading about this sounds like fun.

• Cyclebunny 27th February 2021 at 10:48 pm

Saw it some time ago in Countryfile, then forgot about it! Sounds fun so will check it out🧐

• Deleted User 9th March 2021 at 4:47 pm

Craftiest one was near my sisters place so off we went and discovered a very unusual two WW1 memorials as there was the normal on and another for two brothers who it turned out were illegitimate so the “worthies” left them off the normal one but a guy thought it wrong and paid for the 2nd one. Anyway… the cache was a micro (very small) and it turned out to be in a little tube which in turn was in a hole that some so and so had drilled in a stone…. we turned over hundreds of stones to find it…. grrr…..Then we all had to laugh at the ingenuity!

• Philagain 16th March 2021 at 6:59 pm

I do amateur radio and was once up on a local high spot with a trigpoint its always quiet and well off the beaten track but one day a group of people turned up and were excitedly hunting round the base of the trigpoint, I asked them what they were looking for and the answer was a geocache, they never found it so it had either been pinched or was well hidden, had me puzzeld for a while.

• TracieB 16th March 2021 at 7:20 pm

Yes-really enjoy it!

• GeorgieOak 17th March 2021 at 8:43 am

Yep. Must admit, haven’t done for ages.

• GeorgieOak 17th March 2021 at 11:04 pm

We picked up a movable one in Cumbria and took it down to Cornwall. It was really interesting to see where it have travelled to. I think it had been out of the UK

• Noddingnelly 18th March 2021 at 8:55 pm

I have been geocashing for years off and on. I only have about 200 finds but have a trackable that gets moved about which is fun to see where its been. My parents have over 1000 way more dedicated to the cause than me lol
      Just watch out for the “muggles”

• Deleted User 21st March 2021 at 8:28 am

Yes we have done it for a few years. Really enjoy it as it gets you to see places in a different light to what you normally would. Gets you out and about in new and old places. Great fun.

• Matobo 21st March 2021 at 9:23 am

Sounds like fun, I’ve been thinking about trying it for a while, what’s the name of the App please? Thank you.

• Deleted User 21st March 2021 at 4:06 pm

I was litter picking in some woodland when I noticed an older couple looking a bit suspicious. I asked if they had lost something and they told me they were geocaching but were giving up as they couldn’t find it. I found it and called to them, I would have binned it thinking it was litter. They were very pleased that I had found it.

Add