Home Forums Hobbies, Sports & Leisure Anyone here geocache? I’ve literally just do...

Louise F Posted 3 months ago
Anyone here geocache? I’ve literally just downloaded the app – seems really straightforward 🤗 Any handy hints for me before I launch in?
3 likes & 31 replies
    • Brad_66 13th September 2021 at 7:13 pm

Geocache? What is that?

• Louise F 13th September 2021 at 7:17 pm

From what I can tell it’s a treasure hunt – Google geocache and it’ll be the first hit. Gets folks out and about, mainly in the countryside

• Brad_66 13th September 2021 at 7:23 pm

Treasure hunt? Oh wow! That sounds interesting. Never heard of it. I presume it’s all organised through local groups? I’m in the West Midlands, I’ll have to check it out 👍🏻

• AMC349 13th September 2021 at 7:18 pm

Geocache? Not familiar with that one.

• JonW 13th September 2021 at 7:54 pm

Yep heard of it but never tried. Sounds like something to do with the dog and kids!

• HMandco 13th September 2021 at 7:56 pm

It is excellent. Takes you to interesting places all over the world. Pack a small rucksack with useful stuff. Pen, trinkets to leave. Maybe trowel for digging.
      Enjoy.

• Louise F 13th September 2021 at 8:01 pm

Brill, thanks for the tips!

• Patrington1a 13th September 2021 at 8:03 pm

Ame as Brad, what is it?

• reliquit 13th September 2021 at 10:11 pm

I’ve been geocaching since 2009. My find-count is just over 4500 and my wife’s just over 4000 (which is not bad for a wheelchair-user). We plan our holidays around places we want to go geocaching. Last year we had planned a trip to Northern Spain but of course COVID put paid to that. We have just returned from a fortnight’s geocaching in Lincolnshire. If there is anything I can help you with feel free to PM me either on this site, or on the geocaching site where my username is “lefthanded99”

• Chi 14th September 2021 at 8:52 am

I have thought about using this as a way to incentivise my kids (especially my grumpy daughter) to get out walking. I wonder if there are websites which can recommend locations for searching? Or even local groups who go out geocaching? I love walking but sometimes it is a struggle to get the kids away from their devices – even though they know the benefits of getting outside. Good luck in your adventures!

• Joannaissleeping 14th September 2021 at 8:58 am

My daughter does this where she lives in London and loves it. I am going to download the app and give it a go.
      I need to get fitter for a walking holiday next month and apparently Bedfordshire ( where I am situated) is full if geocaching opportunities

• Ushiec 14th September 2021 at 10:46 am

I found it really difficult to find the caches. I now play a game called Ingress which is basically an electronic version but with team play. You might enjoy that

• Ushiec 14th September 2021 at 11:29 am

Ingress Prime any app store. Free to play

• Micky2112 14th September 2021 at 12:39 pm

Keep your eyes peeled, they can be hard to find even when the app says you’re right on top of them. Remember they’re hidden so that people don’t just stumble across them. Take a pen with you to sign the little register that’s inside and maybe a little trinket to exchange but it has to be really small, all the ones I’ve found so far (about 5) are the size of a spice jar. It’s good fun if you like the outdoors. Good luck

• Lynnee 14th September 2021 at 2:32 pm

I did this with my Daughter about 8 years ago. If I had to give a bit of advice it is to always have some little trinket (SWAG) with you to leave behind in the box and carry a pencil in case there isn’t one (so you can leave a message in the log).

• Louise F 14th September 2021 at 2:39 pm

Thank you!

• reliquit 15th September 2021 at 12:29 pm

Good advice if you are geocaching out in the country, but most urban geocaches are much too small to have anything other than a logbook in them. (This is since the infamous “Harrogate Affair” a few years ago when an off-duty policeman going past on a bus saw someone replacing a geocache underneath a large plant pot and concluded that they were actually planting a bomb! It sparked off a bomb scare which saw the whole of Harrogate City Centre evacuated on a busy Saturday afternoon). Since then geocaching rules dictate that urban caches can not be larger than an old 35mm film canister (don’t remember those? think slightly wider and slightly shorter than a wine-bottle cork). Some large urban caches still exist, as they were allowed to remain if they were in place prior to Harrogate but they are rare now.

• Sshh1970 14th September 2021 at 2:52 pm

It’s great fun to do. Especially with kids too

• Sshh1970 14th September 2021 at 2:55 pm

It’s worth buying one of the geotags too. We bought one and attached it to a toy dinosaur. We tracked it all the way to Australia and I finally picked it back up in a geocache near to where we live. Astonishing to watch them be passed around the world in lots of geocaches .

• Chrisdmids 14th September 2021 at 4:25 pm

This sounds great! I tried it years ago but phones were rubbish then. Might give it a go now. Good luck

• Rachel29 15th September 2021 at 6:10 pm

I’ve been doing it on and off since last Autumn. The website is good for showing you the big picture of caches in your area. It has given me a reason to visit some new places too.

Add