Home Forums General Anyone getting excited about Halloween 🤔

Shirlann Posted 2 months ago
Anyone getting excited about Halloween 🤔
1 like & 29 replies
    • Chojo 16th October 2021 at 8:17 am

I have a special sign that I put on my door every year it’s says “Dear trick or treaters, please F**K OFF!”

• beetlejuice 16th October 2021 at 12:04 pm

last year, as i quite like the little children in their wellies and confused expressions as their moms push them up my drive towards the strangers door! i put lots of sweets in plastic tubs for them to just help themselves.Bless them each child gingerly put a sticky hand in to the tub and took one sweet before legging it back down driveway.Then i witnessed a middle waged bald headed man on a bike, pedal up my drive and empty the lot into his backpack!!!!!!!!

• beetlejuice 16th October 2021 at 12:05 pm

i meant middle aged man, i really don’t mind how much people earn!

• Catwoman 16th October 2021 at 12:24 pm

I collect skulls and grim reapers so it’s always Halloween here. Not keen on little darlings knocking on my door though 🤣

• AEB 16th October 2021 at 12:44 pm

I thought the rule now is you put out decorations if you are happy to take part and welcome the trick or treaters
      otherwise they leave you alone worked for me last year

• mousebat 16th October 2021 at 12:52 pm

No.

• Robert K 16th October 2021 at 1:33 pm

In theory Halloween is great fun but is a good example of a big problem. Go into any supermarket and see an aisle crammed with cheap, tacky nonsense – just to make parents feel they have fully embraced the Halloween experience on behalf of their kids. It is virtually all Chinese (fulfilling overseas orders) and will largely be in landfill by this time next month. History will not look back kindly on this period.

There is another way – quality over quantity. We must have people capable of designing and producing Halloween ‘decorations’ to be used for many years. We do it, to a certain extent, with Christmas things that come out year after year.

• Deleted User 16th October 2021 at 2:00 pm

When I was a kid there was mischief night and you got your garden gate taken off its hinges.
      Cost nothing no grown ups involved.
      Now it’s big business in manufacturing shipping selling purchasing.
      Now it’s an important event that most people seem to have fallen for.
      Thanks America.

• Reverend Nick 16th October 2021 at 10:55 pm

Certain organisations tried to ban Halloween 25-30 years ago. The evangelical churches liked to pretend it a was dangerous occult practise – your path to Satan, and all that. Many a school was too windy to have halloween parties for the kids and had alternative Saints & Sausages events (a winter BBQ) It never caught on – there’s a surprise! Kids like to be mildly scared as long as they know they’re in a safe situation.
      Obviously Halloween’s a big thing today – not through religious toleration for pagan new-agey stuff but because it’s now an official shopping event, as other people here have touched on.
      We’re generally on holiday in Whitby over Halloween, before covid they had a nice parade for families, it was like a North Yorkshire version of Día de los Muertos.

• Deleted User 16th October 2021 at 11:18 pm

I think the reason the churches were against it is because whatever form it takes and no matter what fun is had it’s keeping a satanic ritual alive and well thousands of years on.

• Brighton Belle 18th October 2021 at 7:39 pm

Love anything where have to dress up

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 18th October 2021 at 7:46 pm

Halloween (All Hallow Even) was the last night of the British Celtic year (equivalent to the modern new year’s eve) – October the 31st, later adopted as the Eve of All Saints by the Christian church in Britain when the Pope of Rome in 610 ordered that the heathen Pantheon should be converted into a Christian church and dedicated to the honour of all martyrs.

Halloween was a Celtic fire festival and a day on which the spirits of the dead revisited their old homes and evil spirits roamed the land. Superstition, based in part upon the reality that November the 1st (Samhain) ushered in the cold, dark months of winter, encouraged the Celts to placate the spirits of nature at Halloween, lest the next year’s crops should fail, and because of the presence of so many spirits at large at this time, and the strong supernatural forces at work, it was a time for divination. Later, games were held throughout Britain for teenagers, including apple and sixpence bobbing, success at these games being thought to guarantee good fortune for the coming year and to enable divination with regard to forthcoming marriages. In early Ireland, it is reported that children were sacrificed to placate the evil spirits at Halloween, but this is more probably propaganda than a reality. During the 19th century Irish immigrants introduced to America the concept of mischief on Halloween, with young men playing tricks on residents and demanding a treat lest they should play a trick on them – an echo of sacrifices of foods to the spirits so as to placate them. This practise having originated in the North of England, while elsewhere young people demanded of their elders to be shown a magic trick or receive a treat by way of a forfeit by the elder.

Welsh tradition had it that on Halloween, an evil spirit sat on every stile. While in Scotland the notion of the goblin was invented, which only came out on Halloween. Modern Halloween is not, as is popularly thought, an American invention, but a survival of an old British festival. Sacrifices are still made to placate the witches, goblins, ghosts and other supernatural spirits, though these now generally take the form of sweets given to costumed children dressed as representations of the spirits, that call from house to house demanding of those devoid of supernatural powers (proven by performing a trick) tribute (a treat) so as to ensure good fortune the following year.

• Brighton Belle 18th October 2021 at 8:26 pm

Let’s face it after being in lockdown for nearly 2years let enjoy everything that comes along Halloween -Bonfire Night-Xmas

Add