Home Forums General Anyone else hate TV?

Deleted User Posted 11 months ago
Anyone else hate TV?

Life’s too short isn’t it?

3 likes & 20 replies
    • Forestbather 18th June 2021 at 11:04 pm

Yep. I don’t own a TV. I watch things on my iPad but I am very choosy. I’ve just binged Time which was bloody brilliant and I still need to watch series 6 of Line of Duty, but other than that it’s all meh.

• Deleted User 18th June 2021 at 11:51 pm

Right. TV free since 2003. From a timewasting point of view FaceBook is pretty rotten too but at least it’s interactive!

• Daisyroots 19th June 2021 at 11:03 am

I’m quite happy not to bother with TV. I occasionally watch a film on my laptop but that’s about it.

• Shirlann 19th June 2021 at 12:51 pm

Very occasionally something good but not very often 🙄🤔

• Brighton Belle 18th July 2021 at 4:54 pm

I don’t watch much TV maybe in evenings but not soaps like watching Simon Reeves Travel documentaries on i player so I can plan holidays when restrictions lifted plus like reading

• vaughanpauline 18th July 2021 at 5:31 pm

No television and absolutely no intention of getting one.

Husband had th TV on for 40 years, when I left him the silence was golden and will remain so…. Except for the radio of course!

• adeliza0165 18th July 2021 at 6:30 pm

I have to have the TV on – even if I’m not watching it. Makes me feel like there’s someone in the house chatting away to me.
      Same with the radio.

• PhilB 18th July 2021 at 7:56 pm

I think “hate” is a bit strong – why hate something you can just ignore and which doesn’t impact you? There’s lots of really good stuff on tv – I can generally find something of interest in the history front for example. And if there isn’t – I’ll do something else instead, we are not forced to watch it!

• Deleted User 19th July 2021 at 4:37 pm

Within a year of the “telly” arriving in my childhood home, lively family conversation had all but disappeared. And I felt there was an element of brainwashing to the BBC programming. At the same early age I realised that some people made a god of it, and allowed this religion to take over their lives, the topic of recent viewing becoming the conversational default at home, on the bus, at school. My already hardening attitudes excluded me from participating. I felt that TV had driven a wedge between me and the human race.

I could also make a case for the TV being the death knell of many excellent social activities from church attendance to brass bands, dancing competitions, etc etc. Why entertain yourselves when TV brought higher quality entertainment to your living room?

And it is a major factor in the growth of obesity and associated disease as folk slump on the couch for hours on end like lizards, just the eyes flickering occasionally to indicate that life hasn’t actually stopped.

• Vervain 19th July 2021 at 9:55 am

I have not had a TV for over 20yrs. There just isn’t enough programs to interest me to justify the cost.

• Reverend Nick 19th July 2021 at 10:53 am

I think the main problem with the telly is that ideas are now dwindling. Pretty much everything been done – over the past 50 years we have seen every permutation of settings for a sit-com or situations (believable or otherwise) for a soap – the current trend of “Leave it aht! This is Fa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-mly!” has only so much milage. Ditto for the saccharin-drenched midwives in the early 60s.

I recently saw a trailer for a game show that appeared to be no more than catching large balls. Has it really come to this?

Nevertheless, don’t want to be too one-sided: there is still some good stuff, if you’re prepared to look for it.

• BridgetWren 19th July 2021 at 11:19 am

I love that we’re on the side of history where there is choice. I prefer Podcasts, Radio, On-demand entertainment but there’s something about knowing that hundreds/thousands of people could be watching TV at the exact same time as you that gives – particularly Live telly – a different interactive experience to the rest. The Euros, Eurovision, Spring Watch, David Attenborough, The News. I like them. Particularly now that I have charge of ‘The Doofer’ and can switch it off mid-flow. Power. 🙂

• Fluffy 19th July 2021 at 4:00 pm

am a big fan of documentaries , love to learn new things.
      usually spend the evening flicking through the documentary channels on sky 🙂

• loislane 19th July 2021 at 6:37 pm

Everyone is different. Glad we had one for the sport, I still read loads. I’m selective, and it can be turned off.
      I never watch reality TV, absolute garbage.
      Love comedy too. Each to our own.

Add