Home Forums Jobs & Careers Any tips for asking my current employer about going part time?

Add comment

• Any tips for asking my current employer about going part time?

I’d love to go part time in the next 12 months, to maybe 3 or 4 days a week. It feels a bit of an awkward thing to ask my boss – has anyone manged to do this? Who else is thinking of doing the same?!

Posted by lorraine
Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Reply by Nick

Hi Lorraine,
      I reduced from 5 days a week to 2 days. I did all the things that Stuart suggests and put some significant work into options that showed my employer how my new working pattern would also work for the business. A slight restructure was implemented and after a few tweaks here and there the new arrangements worked well.
      N

• Reply by Stuart

Hi Lorraine, Stuart from Rest Less here. We had a few people ask us this a while ago so we pulled together some thoughts in an earlier article – see below. I would be really interested to hear from anyone who’s gone through this themselves and how they approached it, was it successful….

“Before you approach your boss, it’s best to check your company’s employee handbook (or perhaps your employment contract) to find out what their policy is on things like part-time and/or flexible hours, telecommuting and job sharing to first assess your options and consider how you might feel if your boss offered you an alternative or a compromise instead.

It’s also a good idea to plan a proposal for how the company could manage on the days you would be off work if you were to cut down your hours. For example, would someone else need to be hired part-time to share your role, or are the team happy to split the extra work between them? It also helps if you can come up with an idea of which days you’d like to take off – and your boss is likely to be much more accommodating if you can be flexible about this i.e. if you can come into work on the company’s busiest days. Employers are supposed to consider requests for flexible working, (but are under no obligation to grant them), so the more information you have and the more you can outline how it will work for them, the higher your chances of success

If your boss isn’t sure about the idea, then you could always propose that you trial the idea for one month to see if the arrangement works for both of you. Chances are, if you’re a valued member of the team who works hard, that your boss will try their best to work with you to reach an agreement.”

Viewing 1 reply thread