Home Forums General Any suggestions for getting a good nights sleep? I...

Deleted User Posted 1 year ago
Any suggestions for getting a good nights sleep? I think I have tried everything but someone may know something else
8 likes & 73 replies
    • Deleted User 25th January 2021 at 9:17 am

Thank you Amanda, I don’t know if it was just coincidence but I actually had a good night’s sleep last night !!! I found some Camomile tea which my daughter had left behind when she moved, had that about 9’o’clock, went to bed about 11,
      must have gone to sleep fairly quickly because when I woke up it was 5.15am went back to sleep until 8.30am.
      I actually feel and look human again!!!
      Will see how the rest of the week goes

• Team Rest Less 25th January 2021 at 9:28 am

What brilliant advice above. We also put together these sleep tips which might be worth a try. Hope some of this helps. Insomnia is horrible to live with. Wishing you a peaceful night’s sleep tonight…

https://restless.co.uk/health/healthy-mind/cant-sleep-try-these-8-tips/

• VFP 25th January 2021 at 9:36 am

I don’t have stress at the moment so although I wake up once or twice at night, my little solutions seems to work. I do subtractions, starting from 1000 and I will subtract the same number until I fall asleep. For example, 1000 – 14 = 986 – 14 = 972 etc. I hardly ever get to zero and if I do this usually means I’m stressed. So I may do additions to get back up to 1000, or some little divisions in my head to see what the remainder should be. I heard about doing this years ago on Radio 4 and the little bit of energy you use to do the sums distracts you until you fall asleep. I do this practically every night.

• Deleted User 25th January 2021 at 9:37 am

I’ve been awake since 3 30 am and couldn’t get to sleep till gone 12 so I really sympathise with you

• LouP 30th January 2021 at 8:02 am

No sleep is so hard. I have Alexa and I ask her to play white noise, which really helps me, as well as an eye mask. I reduced my caffeine massively as well.

• Shell69 30th January 2021 at 10:03 am

I find no caffeine after mid afternoon helps me too.

• EnglishgirlinWales 30th January 2021 at 10:42 am

When I’m feeling overstressed I use a free app on my phone called Lets Meditate, you can download for free any of the meditations – I find the “Zen Breath Before Sleep” works really well for me, it lasts 19 minutes and is a guided meditation. I rarely hear then end of it and tend to sleep fairly well when I use it. Failing that if I awake in the night I will physically get out of bed, make a small cup of herbal tea and that tends to allow me to get back to sleep. Good luck x

• Sue47 30th January 2021 at 12:14 pm

Some years ago I had insomnia due to depression, slept for max 2/3 hours a night if at all. I saw a wonderful psychologist who assured me that there are no rules about sleeping between 11pm and 7am (any more than there are about having dinner on the table at 6pm) and my body would sleep when it was ready. He explained that the more I worried about it the more I added to my depression. It took a while to get my head round it as we’re creatures of habit but slowly began to relax about it and found I could sleep a little longer, if not at night I’d rest in the daytime when the children were at school. Moving on 40 years I still sleep when I need to and never worry about getting the statuary 7 hours at night.
      I appreciate this isn’t for people who might have set working hours but I managed to run a small but successful business and family, during this time. Now retired I read, do housework and do admin for a charity at what others might call strange hours of the night. I always remember the words the psychologist said, why worry about it, worrying was never a cure for anything.

• juleswalker 30th January 2021 at 2:57 pm

The NHS website has a lot of sound advice about getting a good night’s sleep. ‘Sleep health’ is a real thing that many people, including doctors, talk about. My own advice would be:
      * keep the room cool – too, hot and you won’t sleep well. 19 degrees C is thought best.
      * stop watching TV or looking at a ‘blue’ screen at least 45 minutes before bed.
      * have a wind-down routine. Mine includes just getting ready for bed, removing make-up, tooth-brushing etc. Take it slowly and MINDFULLY.
      * read a book, something to get lost in. It helps the mind relax.
      * listen to a sleep app or music if you can. NOT music with lyrics though – they make you think. Classical or just orchestral. I listen to a playlist called ‘Classical Chill’ on the Home Pod (Apple) which is very soothing and I never hear the end of the selection!
      Hope you find a solution as sleep is so important. I used to struggle massively but have now found my own ‘recipe’ for success.

• KayDanceStyleSparkle 30th January 2021 at 7:40 pm

Dance!

Works every time!

I think I am going to call our “rest less” Friday class “Fabulous Friday” and our Wednesday class “Wonderful Wednesday”. I’ve met some lovely people from the “rest less” community and enjoy sharing a love of dance with like-minded people.

When we’re dancing we disappear from all the gloomy news and have a good giggle!

😊

• Wendy S 1st February 2021 at 2:52 pm

I sympathise. The best advice I found was to stick to a regular bedtime and waking up time. It really seems to help as your body knows what to expect.
      (You don’t have to actually get up when you wake up in the morning – I don’t!)

• Deleted User 1st February 2021 at 3:11 pm

Had a really good sleep last night for once!

• Andie 6th February 2021 at 12:48 am

CBD oil ( I recommend Raised Spirit), chamomile tea, concentrate cherry juice, magnesium, banana, valarian.

Not all at the same time though!

• loislane 6th February 2021 at 1:10 am

Not a clue, sorry, I have the same problem

• Deleted User 6th February 2021 at 1:50 am

Hi There is one thing that has worked once on occasion.

Years ago a friend told me if she couldnt sleep she just told herself that the alarm was going to go off in a minute and it was time to get up for work. She said it made her snuggle in and “drop off” for five more minutes.
      Just like the real thing!

Annella

• Golden54 6th February 2021 at 8:59 am

I used to be a chronic insomniac. Things that I have found worked for me.
      A walk during the day to keep Vitamin D levels up, taking vitamin D and magnesium also helps.
      Putting lavender oil on the soles of your feet.
      I fall asleep to stories from the Calm app and I do mindfulness during the day.
      No caffeine after lunchtime.
      If you can’t sleep or wake up and you’re awake for more than 20 minutes, get up. Read a book, or do something relaxing. Milk or something oat based are soporific and may help.
      Get up in the morning at the same time, so that you’re tired in the evening

• Deleted User 6th February 2021 at 9:43 am

Thank you everyone, I am trying a couple of different things at the moment, and working my way through the list

• Lorraine1971 8th February 2021 at 10:28 pm

Camomile tea, drinking chocolate, meditation music….

• Deleted User 15th March 2021 at 5:05 am

I tend to go for a walk plenty of fresh air and some exercise always helps me. 😊

• Deleted User 15th March 2021 at 8:59 am

Thanks, I am OK now, I do go out every day for a walk (weather permitting)
        I don’t normally have problems, I think maybe I was feeling a bit sorry for myself at the time!

• Deleted User 15th March 2021 at 3:28 pm

Never feel sorry for yourself tough sometime I know, if I get a little down I tend to give someone a quick call or pop out for a walk to clear my head. I hope you feel more positive soon. 😊😊

• Ditosani 16th March 2021 at 7:09 pm

I struggle with what I call my ‘busy’ head – my head sings to me when I really need to sleep! However, I’ve discovered that a combination of Pukka Nighttime tea about an hour before I go to bed, followed by CBD oil and magnesium powder dissolved in water just before I go to bed and a pillow spray help me to get off much more quickly.

• min 16th March 2021 at 7:20 pm

physical exhaustion

• Christobel 16th March 2021 at 9:05 pm

Calm app works for me, a sleep story at 3am stops whirling worries

• RestLess L 16th March 2021 at 10:13 pm

I use lavender and sometimes promethazine hydrochloride (phenergen) which is 10mg or 20mg and can be bought over the counter. Also think of something nice and breathe deeply. Let the worries out. Have enough exercise in the day and don’t use a computer or mobile phone an hour before bedtime.

• Alicia21 16th March 2021 at 10:28 pm

I plug my earphones into my tablet and play the Alan Bennett Talking Heads episodes on BBC iplayer. I know them all now which means I can nod off to their familiar stories. I used to listen to the Archers ominibuses (radio 4) which worked too. I fall asleep within minutes
      Good luck!!

• HappyDaze 16th March 2021 at 10:29 pm

I sympathise as I’ve suffered horribly with insomnia that started in my early 50s. Hormonal, stress, worry, work whatever the reason It was torture, the more I worried the worse it was. Since I’ve retired my sleep has improved, the only problem I have now is actually dropping off. When this happens I just listening to my body, my heart beating and my breathing and I’m off to sleep in no time. I read this recently, and it’s so easy to do, wish I knew this technique years ago. Good luck. Zzz

• ammbs 17th March 2021 at 8:40 am

I usually have some hot milk or hot chocolate and a drop of whiskey 🥃

• Zubair 17th March 2021 at 10:39 am

I’ve having issues with sleeping also
      Keep waking up around 5 then can’t go back to sleep

• Amanda in Durham 17th March 2021 at 1:43 pm

Have a look at my long post further up, you might find that eating or drinking something helps your body to relax again.

If that happens to me, I sometimes get up and have a glass of full-fat milk and then I can get off to sleep again.

• Lesjake 17th March 2021 at 12:10 pm

I’ve had very similar sleep problems for years – bought a weighted blanket and now sleep with that over me – def get more sleep and quickly back to sleep when waking up – love it !

• Marguerite 17th March 2021 at 6:14 pm

I lie in my hammock for an hour or more, (legs and upper body raised, you feel the gravity draining all the stress out of you!) which relaxes me totally. This and routine before bedtime…eg shower, hammock, read, ….helps a lot. Exercising in the day, no caffeine or alcohol; meditation, and mindfulness have helped people. I hope this helps. Marguerite.

• MORENOCH1 25th July 2021 at 7:31 pm

This is tough, when people can’t go to sleep at night. I feel pity for you. I have constant sweat like crazy, and for months too haven’t had a good night rest, 3 hour or less sometimes. May be If do exercise, have chocolate drink or go to see the doctor?(suggestions) Hope you find a good way to solve your sleeping problem. Some one out there might have or know better solution to this.

Add