Home Forums TV, Film & Radio Any other geeks into sci-fi on here?

AndyW Posted 1 year ago
Any other geeks into sci-fi on here?

Just wondering whether there are any others into scifi movies and tv shows on here and if so, what are your faves and what are you currently watching?

For me, I used to love Dr Who but the current version is a shadow of its former self. Really enjoying the Mandalorian and Star Trek Discovery atm.

14 likes & 78 replies
    • Sheltie 3rd January 2021 at 11:06 pm

Not so much now, liked the old Star trek and Bkakes 7 Watched Dr Who on & off saw the Christmas one first time in ages not sure i like a women as Dr

• AndyW 4th January 2021 at 12:27 pm

I’m not a fan of the changing gender/race of established characters and I don’t think a female Dr has worked, but that’s more down to the writing than the acting. Blake’s 7 has aged remarkably well and is surely due for a remake (it’s also available on Britbox).

• Deleted User 24th January 2021 at 4:01 pm

Hi, I agree the writing is very dull. I thought Dr Who as a humanoid female had all sorts of potential. All squandered. I believe there’s a new batch of writers coming, let’s see what they come up with having the whole of time and space as a palette!

• Deleted User 24th January 2021 at 4:14 pm

Wow I remember Blake 7. Strange really that it made such an impact as like Faulty Towers the series wasnt very long. The sets were terrible and Blake seemed to disappear. But the rest of the characters were wonderful. Suvillan? And her embryos? Lol Good memories.

I love Sci fi but nothing at the moment interests me much. Seems all rehash although I still like a trip non Enterprise.
        Ann

• AdrianSF 28th February 2021 at 7:53 am

I have been Star Trek fan since I first watched the original. I have a massive collection of movies on Bluray and dvd, of lots of different genres, but my favourites are Sci-fi.
        I have every episode of all the Star Trek series and films, so, tng, ds9, voyager, etc. Love the new movies with Chris Pine as Kirk.Also I adore the Marvel Universe and to a lesser degree, DC. They’ll get it right one day.
        Sorry for prattling on folks.

• Andre67 4th January 2021 at 10:01 am

Hi hope you had a good xmas and new year loved the old dr who loved the x files,star wars

• Marica 4th January 2021 at 4:25 pm

I love sci fi or something based on fantasy , I think we need films like this to give us light relief from todays issues. Having said that , there was a Tv series which I watched all the way through called Legion,very way out stuff but you never knew what was coming next and the imagination of the writers was beyond anything

• loislane 6th January 2021 at 3:38 pm

Do you know who the writers are? And what channel was it on? Thanks.😀

• Marica 6th January 2021 at 5:56 pm

It’s on Sky but there are a few sources I believe , I just looked this up : Legion is available on YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, iTunes, NOW TV and Sky On Demand. Hope you find it

• loislane 6th January 2021 at 7:05 pm

Thank you, I’m on sky and prime so I will find it😀

• Marica 6th January 2021 at 7:28 pm

Sky has a lot of uses! I added netflix onto the Sky account and only found out my son had Amazon Prime on his TV upstairs at Xmas (do I actually know him!!) so I realised I can access that too with his help. Talk about spoilt!

• loislane 6th January 2021 at 7:33 pm

Indeed😁 we have Netflix, all very handy since lockdown

• ddawnyy 6th January 2021 at 8:04 am

Hello….Have you watched Fringe? It’s available on Prime…..My husband and I are just watching the first series for the second time! It’s really good!

• ddawnyy 6th January 2021 at 8:08 am

Marcia hello, where can I find Legion please?

• Marica 6th January 2021 at 5:54 pm

Hi Dawn .It was a Sky programme. I just googled this and found this answer: “Legion is available on YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, iTunes, NOW TV and Sky On Demand.” There’s a pretty good choice! It is a bit weird for some but i love all that sort of stuff , it stars dan Stevens who is always worth watching

• loislane 6th January 2021 at 2:35 pm

I still enjoy Dr Who yet a woman Doctor doesn’t work for me, I liked the New Year episode.
      Discovery is fantastic, haven’t watched Mandalorian yet. Just started Raised by Wolves and I was hooked by the first episode.
      I also read a lot of Sci-Fi and dystopian novels.

• AndyW 6th January 2021 at 4:03 pm

The thing with Dr Who is that many don’t realise that the most important character is actually the companion (usually female) as it is through this character that we enter the magical world of the Dr. Also, the Dr can be dangerous and unhinged and it is the companion who keeps them focused and centred. The woke nonsense in the latest version also got tedious very quickly.

• loislane 6th January 2021 at 4:10 pm

Yes it did and I agree with you there. The whole world has shifted and they’ve incorporated it into every programme and it does not work. It’s been a scramble to write that all in and it has affected the writing I feel.

• Marica 6th January 2021 at 5:57 pm

I agree. I stopped watching Dr Who so much after David Tennant left as it did not work so well for me.But I did watch the Xmas special but still find the female Dr Who a bit annoying

• charol 6th January 2021 at 8:38 pm

Yes, Matt Smith certainly was better than I expected on the few episodes I watched

• Deleted User 8th January 2021 at 11:46 am

I also stopped watching Dr. Who when David Tennant left, Didn’t like Matt Smith.
      I don’t have a problem with a female Doctor, it’s just that she looks so gormless most of the time!

• loislane 24th January 2021 at 4:37 pm

Have you watched Raised by Wolves? On sky, excellent series from Ridley Scott

• Deleted User 24th January 2021 at 4:40 pm

Hi Would just like to say that I have just learnt the difference between hitting the reply and direct message buttons, due to a very useful posting. Lol Easy when you know how.
      Annella

• Kevin66 24th January 2021 at 11:56 pm

Im still going back in time to the 70s watching what happens in the future of 1999 on moonbase Alpha….and on occasions way back to the 30s of Flash Gordon.

• SelsdonLion 25th January 2021 at 12:12 am

Yes indeed. Favourite sci-fi films
      The Matrix, Blade Runner, 2001

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 26th January 2021 at 9:07 am

Love Dr who , I’m another who doesnt think a woman works at the moment , im sure catherine tate would have worked better And bring back Russell T Davies 🙏
      Love Torchwood too , Star trek old and new, quite a few films

• Marica 26th January 2021 at 12:14 pm

Does anyone watch Stargate SG1 series on tv? I started only because my late husband watched it , initially thought what is this rubbuisha nd then got hooked! I am still rewatching the reruns on Sky now, it’s a clever series

• AndyW 4th February 2021 at 8:34 pm

I thought it started off well for the first few series. They ruined the whole thing with poor spin offs though like Stargate Universe and Atlantis!

• Vannessa 5th February 2021 at 4:12 pm

Yes I am mate

• Sharon2510 5th February 2021 at 4:20 pm

Love Star Trek

• Vixster 10th February 2021 at 5:33 pm

I really like sci-fi and fantasy films like Matrix, Star Wars, Star Trek. Also enjoy Dr Who – some doctors more than others but don’t have a problem with a female – after all I am one! The only fantasy series I’m currently watching is Vikings as I don’t have access to Disney. There’s never many options available so tend to read more than watch this genre.

• Colin in Kent 10th February 2021 at 5:49 pm

I grew up on Doctor Who, so tend to stick with that through thick and thin. Not a huge fan of Jodie, but that has more to do with the showrunner, who is a very mediocre writer compared to his two predecessors. Plus, I loved Peter Capaldi and was crushed when he left. I’ve watched so much sf over the years, although not so much Star Trek, and not a massive fan of superhero stuff (although The Boys was / is brilliant). Too many to list, from classic British shows of the 70s to modern shows like Raised by Wolves, and thought the modern version of Battlestar Galactica was a stupendous achievement.

These days I tend more to the supernatural, and tend to devour anything ‘folk horror’ related. Currently enjoying ‘Equinox’ in that vein on Netflix.

• loislane 10th February 2021 at 6:03 pm

I am still a Trekkie fan, star wars. I loved the Battlestar Galactica remake and I’ve been watching Equinox. All these shows are so creative.
        Have you watched the Dark, German dystopian, sci fi series, really good.?

• Colin in Kent 10th February 2021 at 6:32 pm

I keep planning on going back to it, it looks so good, but for some reason I stall on the first couple of episodes. Now you’ve reminded me, I must try it again. I really like the sensibility of a lot of European shows, and this looks suitably grim and confusing!

• loislane 10th February 2021 at 8:13 pm

It is worth persevering but I would keep on it and not leave long gaps, they won awards for that show. Those who can’t do subtitles really miss out on a lot of good shows

• Colin in Kent 10th February 2021 at 10:48 pm

I think that’s where I’m going wrong. Need to keep up the momentum. I agree re subtitles, some fantastic shows out there.

• loislane 11th February 2021 at 12:12 am

Particularly with that show you do

• Colin in Kent 11th February 2021 at 11:26 am

That’s what I’m thinking – requires more of a commitment.

• loislane 11th February 2021 at 12:52 pm

Is committment even a notion any more?

• loislane 11th February 2021 at 12:53 pm

I’d be interested in knowing what you think by the end

• Colin in Kent 11th February 2021 at 1:06 pm

It certainly isn’t a very popular notion! The idea being that people – young people specifically – have such short attention spans that long novels or involved stories are no longer popular. Did you see the backlash that Netflix got in 2019 when they announced they were trialing a feature that allowed people to watch shows at 1.5x the speed because that was the modern way? A lot of directors were furious but in the end it was rolled out last year, although they sweetened it by also allowing people to slow down the playback.

I will let you know what I think! I’ve got to finish Equinox first (I tend to only really watch one series at a time) and then I will start on Dark.

• loislane 11th February 2021 at 1:22 pm

I did not know that about Netflix. Honestly, I know I can speed read but that’s ridiculous or is it?
          Guess soon there’ll be no queues…the English way gone because a generation cannot wait.
          Enjoy the series…

• Colin in Kent 11th February 2021 at 1:26 pm

I shall!

• loislane 11th February 2021 at 3:13 pm

Me too! I have the patience of an unholy Saint.
          We shall soldier on and keep the fires burning once at the head of the queue.

• Colin in Kent 11th February 2021 at 4:05 pm

Once we’re allowed to queue again…

• loislane 11th February 2021 at 4:19 pm

I’m not sure queues will become outdated…queuing is the essence of the British…we love a queue even if we don’t know what we are queuing for

• Colin in Kent 11th February 2021 at 4:20 pm

So true!

• Hendrik 19th February 2021 at 3:49 pm

I loved Dark. I cried a few times.

• loislane 19th February 2021 at 4:24 pm

It was brilliantly clever

• simonic 18th February 2021 at 8:57 pm

Just enjoyed reading all the Dr Who comments on here, which I pretty much agree with. I enjoyed watching the Chris Eccleston season with my young daughter discovering it for the first time, but it’s never returned to the peaks of “Parting of the Ways” and “Father’s Day” in my view. (Maybe Doomsday came close…)

Aside from that, I’ve recently enjoyed rewatching “Timeslip” on Britbox. Remember that? It made a massive impression on me at the time and I still found it gripping, allowing for the early 70’s style. I think that started my lifetime obsession with time travel, which started with Rod Taylor’s “The Time Machine” and went right through to “The Time Travellers Wife”

• Colin in Kent 19th February 2021 at 4:31 pm

Love Doctor Who, and much early 70s sf and fantasy tv. Timeslip is terrific, I got the dvd set for Christmas. Did you know the audio drama company Big Finish have recently revived it with the original two stars, Spencer Banks and Cheryl Burfield, but set forty years after the events of the original series? Nice to see (or, in fact, hear) what the two protagonists get up to now they’re our age!

• simonic 19th February 2021 at 4:46 pm

Wow that sounds interesting! I think I’ll have to get hold of that, after re-awakening my interest in the programme.

• Colin in Kent 19th February 2021 at 4:59 pm

I don’t know how to insert hyperlinks here, but the first one is called ‘The Age of the Death Lottery’ so if you google that and Big Finish the first hit should take you to it. They’re most well known for their Doctor Who audios, but they also do a great range of classic series from the 60s and 70s, usually with the surviving stars if they’re still with us.

• loislane 19th February 2021 at 5:01 pm

Timeslip, I bought the series a few years ago, way ahead of its time, making us think, not like the dumbing down of children’s programmes today

• RoCr4 18th February 2021 at 10:04 pm

My favourite film is Soylent Green, starring Charlton Heston and Edward G Robinson

• simonic 19th February 2021 at 4:49 pm

The main thing I remember about Soylent Green is the euthanasia scene where he’s surrounded by all the things he loved in life. That really captured my imagination, even as a teenager. It just seemed like a great way to go. Of course the bit that happened after…..maybe not so great. 🙂

• Jarkm 11th March 2021 at 10:45 pm

Recent stuff Snowpiercer on Netflix – wasn’t a fan of the movie but love the tv series – also Westworld on Sky; intelligent sci-fi.

• Jarkm 13th March 2021 at 6:56 pm

West world is brilliant but it is exclusive to sky. You might be able to get a free month .

• adeliza0165 20th March 2021 at 6:00 pm

Sci-fi & fantasy films are my genres ☺️👍 Get quite excited when the Dr who series comes on. Also like the old star trek. In the 90’s there was a sci-fi series called ‘lex’ which was really fascinating – travels to other (strange) planets. X files was also a very interesting watch. The matrix too.
      Films – has to be the time machine – such a classic! Prometheus – but not the alien films – found them quite traumatising!

• ArtistJanetMyers 21st March 2021 at 11:26 am

Wharehouse 13, loved that series.. and anything showing the multi dimensions.

Add