Home Forums History & Nostalgia Ancient Historical Burial Mounds in Kent

Marica Posted 1 year ago
Ancient Historical Burial Mounds in Kent

I know some people may be interested in this and it is limited to Kent here but it could be a something people may want to visit or find out about:

The chilling story behind the ancient mounds you can see all over Kent

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/chilling-story-behind-ancient-mounds-5033180?utm_source=kent_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

5 likes & 31 replies
    • Colin in Kent 1st March 2021 at 10:02 am

That’s fascinating, thank you Marica. I had no idea there were so many scattered across the county. The Tonbridge group (usually known as the ‘Medway Megaliths’) are slightly different as these aren’t Bowl Barrows but Long Barrows, or rather the remains of them – all that’s left are the supporting stones as the mounds themselves have long since vanished or been ploughed out. Kits Coty is magnificent, but my personal favourite is Coldrum Stones at Trottiscliffe, which doesn’t seem to be on the list!

I really like the individual links to the Historic England listing, very useful thank you. I can see some exploration ahead once regulations permit!

• paulinevaughan2015 1st March 2021 at 5:00 pm

Very interesting

Well worth a look

Pauline

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 1st March 2021 at 7:00 pm

That was interesting as was the lost villages of Kent… My friends used to live on the road that the Coldrum Barrow is on until they moved near to me last year. I walk in Clowes Wood as that is local to me, but I had no idea there was a barrow there!

• Marica 1st March 2021 at 7:12 pm

That’s an extra interest for you when you go that way , Gill

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 1st March 2021 at 7:16 pm

Well I realised that when I read it. .Maybe I should sort out a car tour of the lost hamlets of Kent along with the barrows. The sat nav in my car allows me to set up a tour – taking me from a to b to c and so on. I quite often used it in the past to do that … choose village to village to village and ignore motorways, and go down all the country lanes. So pretty. Then when had enough, just set it to home to include motorways! Its great, especially as dear Rob was absolute rubbish at navigation as well as driving !! Not being unkind, but when someone drives in 3rd gear instead of 5th it does become quite difficult to ignore! Anyway, he loved going out for a drive.. so thats what we did.. poodling along at a slow pace, passing fields and country cottages!!!

• Marica 1st March 2021 at 7:26 pm

That is lovely, Gill ! Both Alan and my ex husband both liked driving so I was very lucky as they would go all over the place. Me, not so much! I can’t even work out Google maps let alone plan a route. I got lost using an old Satnav (I am a lost cause) But give me a paper map, I may be ok ! Not so easy driving with that though . We had Samantha’s voice from Sex & the City on our satnav and some of the comments if we went the wrong way were hilarious 🙂

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 1st March 2021 at 7:36 pm

When we had our first sat nav we were going through the various voices that he might like. He fancied Nicole the french girl because he loved the accent. I had to point out to him that he wouldn’t understand her though because she also spoke in french! lol… he was disappointed – but he wasn’t going to get anywhere knowing La plume de ma tante, ovre la fenetre/porte and ferme la fenetre/porte! … we had such a giggle about it .. but it had to be Tom instead cos he didn’t like the idea of Jane!

• Marica 1st March 2021 at 8:03 pm

haha! I love the idea of the French voice and you sitting by his side with a French phrase book!!

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 1st March 2021 at 9:07 pm

It was funny! Actually there are so many funny stories about my husband I think I could write a book. You saying about the french phrase book reminds me of when we returned from spending a week with friends who had a place in France. I did A level french, and although my language skills were very rusty they were a lot better than my friends and Rob. My friends’ next door neighbours didn’t speak much english, but between them all they had developed their own franglais which was a mixture of the odd word, a lot of ‘errrrs’ and hand signals – so much so that when they became stuck trying to explain something to each other, they turned to me to help and I had to admit that I didn’t have a clue what they were talking about.. neither in english nor in french!

Anyway much of that holiday was spent with me translating french to english and english to french, so Rob became very accustomed to hearing the accent around him as well as the language. So much so that when we arrived at the port in calais, Rob handed over our tickets, and when he gave them back to Rob he said, in his best french accent ….. ‘sankoo’ … he genuinely thought he had just spoken french to the man!!! No idea if the story translates well.. but it has amused me to remember it!

What on earth this has to do with ancient burial mounds I have absolutely no idea!!! lol

• Marica 1st March 2021 at 9:58 pm

Gill, I love that story! It’s made me laugh tonight. Happy memories for you too I think. I did Latin A level so I don’t think my translations would have helped anything!! 🙂 🙂

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 2nd March 2021 at 6:47 am

😂

• Daisychain 2nd August 2021 at 6:16 pm

It’s also known that the Anglo Saxons often buried around Neolithic mounds. I just love archaeology.

• Colin in Kent 7th August 2021 at 9:13 am

I hadn’t actually known this until fairly recently, when I came across a book called ‘Perceptions of the Prehistoric in Anglo-Saxon England’ by Sarah Semple. It appears it was a significant part of their belief.

• Daisychain 7th August 2021 at 10:21 am

I found out about this whilst watching time team amongst other programmes. Phil Harding of Wessex Archaeology pointed this out whilst digging on Salisbury Plain with disabled veterans.

• Colin in Kent 7th August 2021 at 10:31 am

It’s fascinating and raises lots of questions about the continued reverence for these monuments in the landscape. It’s a sad and sobering thought that most survived intact until the 17th and 18th centuries.

• MaggieWhite21 31st August 2021 at 2:47 pm

Has anyone visited Sutton Hoo?? (famous now because of the film The Dig). it’s a great place to go and the visitor centre is so interesting – they were skilled craftsmen all those years ago, with no help from technology or modern tools.

Add