Home Forums Jobs & Careers Am I setting myself up to be disappointed? I am re...

Hope St Jude Posted 5 months ago
Am I setting myself up to be disappointed? I am retraining in Conveyancing Law and Practice at the age of 60 (2month’s time) because I want to continue to learn and have a keen interest in property law. Should I accept that I am not going to find a Conveyancing job at 60.? Any helpful suggestions?

I have applied for over a dozen Conveyancing Assistant roles whilst I am studying for the Conveyancing diploma( distance learning).

5 likes & 10 replies
    • Gaetano 1st July 2021 at 4:13 pm

Hi Hope,

Thank you so much for joining our Community and welcome to Rest Less!

I’m Gaetano, I am the Customer Service Manager at Rest Less and, should you have any questions about it, I’m here for you.

I’m sure everyone will agree with me as I think what you’re doing is excellent: age doesn’t mean anything and what you are doing is in line with the Rest Less spirit.

To find a job is something that may require a bit of effort seeing that you will be freshly trained in your new field, but I don’t see why you should not be able to get one.

Please do make sure you check our jobs listings, in fact, the entire work section may be of use to you https://restless.co.uk/jobs/

Hope that helps and all the best of luck!

• Deleted User 3rd July 2021 at 7:41 am

Keep percivering 🧡

• Team Rest Less 5th July 2021 at 4:44 pm

Dear Hope, it’s Rest Less again here. Our head of communications would love to speak to you about your experience of retraining in your 60s. Could you please drop her an email at [email protected] with your contact details so she can give you a call?

Thanks so much!

• Iva 13th August 2021 at 5:51 pm

Wow, everywhere in London I see the ads from the estate managing companies or estate agents or from the residential companies. I even went to the interview in one of them. They turned me down as I don’t have any experience in dealing with property. However, I think that you do have a chance. Perhaps it will be worth for you to look at another job title, something similar but not the same wording.

• Scottmm 11th October 2021 at 11:46 am

I don’t think you should lose hope. In the end, it’s not the age that matters, but the level of knowledge and input you can give to a company. If you go to an interview and prove to the employer that you are the right person for the job of Conveyancing Assistant, that you have all the necessary skills, and that you fit perfectly into the company, I don’t think he would refuse to hire you. You can also try to apply your CV on https://www.Cardiffmoneyman.com; I heard that it is a company that relies on the knowledge of employees.

• Debskidoo Carmarthenshire 11th October 2021 at 11:51 am

Ask a local firm to job shadow for a month then go self employed ??

• Gerard371 11th October 2021 at 11:53 am

Good idea, volunteer to gain some practical experience, and you never know, make a good impression and you might get offered a job.

• catay53 14th October 2021 at 12:19 pm

Hi
      NO you should not accept that you will not get another job in Conveyancing.
      Wishing you great success with your up coming retraining.
      Kind regards
      Carol T

• LivelyTony 2nd November 2021 at 10:56 am

I would expect that in many jobs based indoors, an older person will have considerable advantages to an employer.

But a lack of experience will always put you further down the list.

But maybe try an alternative? Try contacting self employed conveyancers as there may be some who want to cut down on their workload and could supervise you and let you do some of their jobs on a part time basis.

• Clare Hughes 2nd November 2021 at 1:58 pm

Hello Hope,
      Given the experience I’ve had with conveyancers over the past 12 months I’m sure you will be able find a job or as others have suggested opt for self employment. There are many online conveyancers who offer work from home options which may suit you. Good luck X

Add