Home Forums Food & Drink Ale or Lager?

RobC Posted 8 months ago
Ale or Lager?

What’s your preference?

8 likes & 69 replies
    • Catwoman 3rd June 2021 at 7:50 pm

Lager, preferably San Miguel

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 3rd June 2021 at 9:11 pm

Ale is my first preference, had a lovely pint of Doombar on saturday, I like Hobgoblin a nice Ruby beer, Peroni and Moretti when in Italy – cider Aspall from the pump is very refreshing , when I’m cooking a small single malt with a little water or a glass of malbec…… I was marketing manager for Bass Plc in the late eighties and early nineties and remember when the premium bottled lagers were first introduced to the UK, Grolsch, San Miguel, Kronenbourg 1664 , Steinlager , Becks, there’s probably more – I wonder if anyone remembers a really good one called Michelob , a good strength lager , it had a gold foil top it was made by the same brewers as Budweiser . Just a thought does anyone remember Stingos – a really strong ale ,like a barley wine. – I fancy a drink now..

• Catwoman 10th August 2021 at 12:38 pm

I remember Michelob. What happened to it? Lol

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 10th August 2021 at 1:23 pm

Hi, hope this finds you well. I was marketing and business development manager for Bass Inns & Taverns in the early 90s when all the premium bottled lagers and beers were first brought in to the UK in any numbers – Michelob was made by Anheuser-Busch, they also make Budweiser – it was a lovely drink with a nice gold foil around the top – I don’t know what happened to it, just disappeared, will have to look into that one. have a good day.

• Catwoman 10th August 2021 at 4:28 pm

Hi Steve I’m doing well thanks hope you’re ok. Funny how Budweiser is still going. Must be a lot of drinkers I guess. I don’t like it do you? Hope your days going well

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 10th August 2021 at 4:44 pm

Hi, glad to hear all is well with you, no I’m not fond of Bud, it’s pretty weak, I prefer something with a bit of body…… I enjoy a good ale myself ….. I don’t tend to drink that much these days I think as one gets older then it’s quality over quantity I would much rather have a nice scotch and enjoy it….. mind you I did make a captain Morgan spiced rum with fresh apple juice the other day and that was pretty good. Mmmm must get my book of cocktail recipes out. have a good evening CW. take care

• Catwoman 10th August 2021 at 5:45 pm

Sounds goo I’ll have to try that. I think as we get older we’d prefer not to have the hangover 😜 Enjoy your cocktails 🙂

• Deleted User 4th June 2021 at 11:04 pm

I like that Hobgoblin.
      High strength and reasonably priced. Taste is quite unique but not in a strange way like some that are unique.

• Deleted User 5th June 2021 at 9:41 am

Nothing like a good pint of larger to end a good day…cold larger prefer the draft larger.

Cheers
      David
      After the weekend the most difficult task is to remember names…

• Mimulus 7th June 2021 at 3:48 pm

Peroni larger

• Fluffy 7th June 2021 at 4:43 pm

used to go to a real ale pub in birmingham in my teens , got seriously enbalmed more than once 😀
      didn’t stick with it though because i couldn’t grow a grizzly addams beard lol

• JaneG 18th July 2021 at 11:22 pm

Oh no, I’d better switch to a girly brew if I need a grizzly adams beard to drink beer!! Lager is too gassy but beer hits the spot, especially after a good walk! Now where did I leave my razor? 🤣🤣

• Sonny1234 7th June 2021 at 6:40 pm

Guinness , that’s it !!!

• SteveBrooks 7th June 2021 at 6:58 pm

Peroni Saint Miguel or Stella if I am in the pub or occasionally a pint of Guinness. I can’t drink from a can though. It has to be draught or out of a glass bottle. Also, there is no way on earth I would drink out of a plastic glass!!

• Tim17 7th June 2021 at 7:24 pm

I’ve always love lager n find a lager shandy very refreshing in the heat

• SelsdonLion 7th June 2021 at 7:52 pm

I like some of the German, Czech & Polish lagers. I also like some of the traditional British ales and, dare I say it, draught Guinness!

• walkthewalk linuxmail 7th June 2021 at 8:06 pm

Budvar from The Czech Republic is highly regarded, found it by accident…met some pals in a london pub years back…no draught beer! Beer festival the night before and the beer had run out..said Budvar was selling well….it was really tasty. CAMRA, Campaign for Real Ale persuaded their head brewer to make a real live version. It was a sellout and CAMRA asked the brewer to make it unfiltered as well! I made a special trip to The Porterhouse in Covent Garden where it was in a beer festival…sold out!

• Tranzed 7th June 2021 at 10:39 pm

Ale, but not at the moment. Our house has gone sugar free for the time being.

• mandyloo12 8th June 2021 at 12:32 am

Lager too rite😁

• Pete67 8th June 2021 at 1:07 pm

Neither, g andvt for me 😈

• Jeanius 8th June 2021 at 4:57 pm

Ale for sure x

• Deleted User 8th June 2021 at 5:59 pm

Hopefully not veering off or putting a spanner in the works … but I do really like a Guinness ………………….

• GeeAndDee 9th June 2021 at 7:51 am

Ale – All the time
      Lager – Only on a hot day. Only on holiday.

• Arthur Chappell 18th June 2021 at 4:15 pm

Real ales for me, as a CAMRA member

• Lookingtothefuture 6th July 2021 at 5:12 pm

I’m partial to a Bitter Shandy.
      How about you?

• Deleted User 6th July 2021 at 8:01 pm

Lager ice cold if hot & sunny, Ale in a cosy country pub

• dtaylor5400 7th July 2021 at 4:58 pm

Hi Rob, ale always, had four nice pints in pub with mate Monday, only £1.99 a pint too in local weather spoons.
      I love rum and coke, but it doesn’t last long enough sadly
      Regards. David in Kent🏐👍

• Utterly bemused 8th July 2021 at 4:10 am

Real ale every time. Also very keen on Belgian donkle beer – like syrup!

• Daisychain 8th July 2021 at 8:03 am

Real ale for me too, generally speaking. Harveys from Lewes in Sussex has become a favourite. Belgium Trappist beers etc. are a second favourite. Surprisingly Courage used to make a good beer in Bristol but that has long gone.

I’ll have Peroni very occasionally but most other lager is a bit weird.

• Alb 9th July 2021 at 8:10 pm

How can anyone class Fosters as a lager? More like fizzy pop. Was in Australia a few years back and noticed it was not sold in any of the places I frequented, asked a local why that was and his reply was “we would not drink that stuff, just send it over to you poms” (that’s a cleaned up version of his response”!

• mickyj1970 18th July 2021 at 6:30 pm

Real ale every time. Use to like lager when younger but mainly Pilsner. My dad use to drink light n bitter which was nice. Don’t know if people still drink that do they?

• Paul007 18th July 2021 at 9:32 pm

Cider

• GrahamT 19th July 2021 at 9:52 am

Who in their right mind would pay for a pint of fosters,

• Sallymwall 9th August 2021 at 11:34 am

This is my type of thread…………I worked as a Brewery Guide at Greene King for 25 years

• ChrisPhotographer 9th August 2021 at 3:46 pm

Real & craft Ales.. 😉

• cricketer 10th August 2021 at 3:35 pm

Definitely not lager

Add