Home Forums Health Alcohol and depression

TmonT Posted 8 months ago
Alcohol and depression

Struggling 😥 any tips on how to kick both ❤️

1 like & 41 replies
    • loislane 5th June 2021 at 1:23 pm

That is so hard to kick, what have you tried? Do non alcoholic drinks work, I’ve had wines and beers and think their amazing.

• TmonT 5th June 2021 at 2:19 pm

Tried AA it was a disaster 😥 not tried non alcoholic drinks I’m a whiskey guy not heard of any non alcoholic versions

• loislane 5th June 2021 at 2:29 pm

Ah, no I haven’t heard of that either. Ok, AA doesn’t work for everyone but I was thinking of the support.
          Alcohol and drugs counselling? You need the help and support. I’ll find the title of the book I found when my niece was diagnosed.

• VFP 5th June 2021 at 2:38 pm

Perhaps you could try an alternative group to AA? I was married to an alcoholic for about 6 or 7 years, a very long time ago and we are still friends today so I know how his life turned out. Firstly, he did have to ‘hit rock bottom’ before finding himself and it was AA that saved him after many failed starts. Perhaps the reason he fought to live – and it is a life or death battle – was his love for our children. Today he lives near them and is a major part of their lives. Your post is a request for help, and I hope others can contribute. I also hope you find the strength and the help you need to get through this tough time of your life. Take care Viv

• loislane 5th June 2021 at 3:22 pm

Good points Viv.
          I lived with a functioning alcoholic for 16 years, I lost out because he wouldn’t address it and he didn’t want to stop.

• VFP 5th June 2021 at 5:37 pm

That must have been really tough, Lois. I have seen what can happen to functioning alcoholics, for example, memory loss and deteriorating health. John, however, wasn’t functioning, and lost a big chunk of his life. It’s so sad, and the individual must really want to change or the addiction (or addictions) will destroy them.

I really hope TmonT can find the support he needs.

• SelsdonLion 5th June 2021 at 5:25 pm

Hi TmonT, I’m sorry to read your post. It must be really tough. I hope you have people around you you can turn to for support.
      Are you getting treatment for the depression? If the depression was addressed would you still need the alcohol?

• KingDi 6th June 2021 at 9:45 am

I find swimming and yoga help with depression , and EFT which is emotional freedom technique.
      Alcohol is hard, there is no easy fix, but look after the depression , and hopefully the other battle becomes more manageable.
      Keep nagging your GP for support , you have already cracked the biggest bit by admitting the problem and asking for help.
      Good luck, and take care x

• KrissyW 6th June 2021 at 9:58 am

Often both these conditions are interlinked. If you could access CBT you may find it helps. It will not offer ‘a cure’ but impart in you the resources to manage and control

• loislane 6th June 2021 at 7:40 pm

Dr P Andrew, The Alcoholic/Addict within: Our Brain, Genetics, Psychology and the Twelve Steps as Psychotherapy.
      I don’t know if this book will help, you could try getting it from the library just to see if it helps.

• anne 10th June 2021 at 2:48 pm

I feel for you , I really do. I gave up drinking on 28.6.19, the only reason being that I had to have a total knee replacement on 1st July, and had to give it up for then. It was the reason I needed and gave up for 16 months. I did really well and I was really pleased. Since December 20 the drinking has crept up again and I am now drinking 2 bottles of wine a night. A lot has happened over this awful year, but they are only excuses I know. Lockdown, losing my brother and moving home. Not sure where my future is, but I know I definitely need a purpose for every day. I am already on anti depressant’s and have been for years.

• Deleted User 10th June 2021 at 3:35 pm

No help to you unfortunately other than to suggest trying AA.
      Seems to work for many.
      You don’t have to be a homeless slobbering wreck to go to AA in fact from what I know of it it is mostly used by people with jobs and families a clean set of clothes etc who are concerned they are losing control.
      No shame in that all of us who drink alcohol are enjoying a very powerful and addictive drug so losing control of such a powerful beast is so very easy for any of us and any who think they are above it all know less than they think they know.
      A lot of peoples drinking has gone up apparently in lockdown.
      No going out no seeing friends and family not much driving anywhere.
      My own drinking has gone up but not to anything I would consider alarming.
      Bottle of whiskey a month couple of bottles red and a four pack of Guinness is about it but I drank less than that two years ago.
      Here’s to you being strong enough to ask for help to say I can’t do this on my own.

• TmonT 12th June 2021 at 5:03 pm

Well here I am 7 days after my original post Took on a lot from advice no alcohol to date but starting to struggle 😬

• SelsdonLion 12th June 2021 at 8:21 pm

👏👏Keep going TmonT!

• Karendho68 14th June 2021 at 10:31 am

How’s it going today TimonT? 🤞🏻🤞🏻

• TmonT 14th June 2021 at 11:28 am

So far so good it just feels like a daily struggle 😥

• Karendho68 14th June 2021 at 11:36 am

Keep strong and keep going – you are doing so well. you can only do one day at a time and each day you stay alcohol-free is a battle you have won 🥇

• Redhead 14th June 2021 at 3:30 pm

You can do it, your stronger than you think. I’m assuming you go to the shops and buy the whiskey or does someone else buy it for you?

• TmonT 14th June 2021 at 3:43 pm

I go to shops

• Redhead 14th June 2021 at 4:03 pm

Oh right. I’m assuming you get the drink when you go food shopping, if so is there anyone else that can go for you so your not tempted?

• TmonT 14th June 2021 at 4:20 pm

There’s too many ways to access supermarket online shopping delivery an the only people I’ve discussed my issues with is this community I have lots of family but hide it we’ll still function work etc like they say you don’t know what goes on behind closed doors

• Redhead 14th June 2021 at 4:37 pm

Thats true. Is there something that triggers your depression and drinking? Maybe if you notice a pattern you could write it down on how your feeling

• Redhead 16th June 2021 at 8:21 pm

TmonT how are you doing?

• Deleted User 14th June 2021 at 2:29 pm

Well done with you all the way ✅

• Redhead 14th June 2021 at 3:18 pm

Unfortunately alcohol doesn’t help with depression, it can cause it. Are you getting any professional support? I do hope so. Do you have any family or friends you can talk to? The best thing is not to be on your own if you can help it. And hopefully being on here and talking to people will help. I hope you get support.

• TmonT 19th June 2021 at 5:04 pm

Quick update for anyone interested

That’s another week in Had one slip up but not going to beat myself up about it Feel so much healthier just now no indigestion Well that’s new 😂 still not in the best frame of mind but getting there

Tried non alcoholic spirits my treat from last night football taste was good but realised I drank not for the taste but the effect (blank out life) So not going to do that any more keep my money an stick to soft drinks Here goes for week 3 🤞

• Deleted User 19th June 2021 at 11:04 pm

Well done Tmon keep it up ✅ I’ve been tempted but kept myself in too much temptation if I’m out.
        On week two no drinking ✅

• Optimistic 18th November 2021 at 11:06 pm

Well done, there will be times when you fine it an up hill struggle there is always something comes along ready to trip you up but keep on striving knowing you are feeling so much better and maybe find an interest in something you never realised you wanted to do

• Judes 14th December 2021 at 6:30 pm

Well done, focus on how much better you feel and keep busy. 😀 amazing.

• Catwoman 19th June 2021 at 5:13 pm

I’m happy you’re managing TmonT no don’t beat yourself up over a set back it was one time. Youre stronger than you think. Here’s to week 3 cheers I’m raising my cup of coffee to you 🙂

• Deleted User 19th June 2021 at 10:51 pm

There’s a strong link between alcohol consumption and depression with magnesium depletion an important factor.

• Georgie63 22nd June 2021 at 12:30 pm

I was on a litre of whiskey nightly and high dose antidepressants for years.Tried cannabis about 2 years ago and it was like a miracle. No more scotch and on a very low dose of antidepressants. Probably better to quit everything but this works for me.

• Alant 22nd June 2021 at 1:03 pm

Hi. Where are you based?

• annaneves 24th August 2021 at 8:01 pm

I am a doctor and would like to add that it is terrible tendency which I see in our treatment center. Every day almost 20 teens come to us for treatment. Teens are extremely vulnerable to developing a cell phone addiction. Their brain isn’t fully developed until about 25 years of age. Adolescents who become dependent on their smartphones could experience negative alterations in brain development so that they can stick to phones 24 hours and get mad. It is true, believe me! Here https://www.abbeycarefoundation.com/rehab-gloucestershire/ we allocate them with insanity, neuroses and of course we help them to overcome their education, but still it is sad that they trapped in stories with smartphones.

• 1Christy 26th August 2021 at 10:30 pm

Hello there battled with the booze for years 14yrs sober now went to doctors, detoxes, psychiatrists, shrinks, AA slagged them all off just wouldnt admit alcohol was the problem. Was prescribed antidepressants many times. Alcoholism is a cunning baffling progressive disease. Came to realize I had to do something or die. Doctors family or friends just left me to it couldnt do anymore for me now I realise how hard they tried. For some reason AA was a place I always went to when things were bad and nobody else to turn to. Now i know the attraction was no matter the state i was in AA members never turned me away. Ended up in 12 step treatment centre for 30 days and was mad look at myself and understand it was relationship with alcohol was the problem. Also they drilled it into me to go to AA get involved and listen to others who had been where i was and not be afraid to ask how they stayed stopped. It wasnt easy for first year those cravings kept going on in head but the old sayings dont pick up the 1st drink and dont drink for today paid off. Made some good friends in AA and still attend meetings on a regular basis. Thats my story AA may not be for everyone there are other groups out there run by alcohol and drug services and Smart Recovery may you find yours now. Have seem many die from alcoholism. But for the grace of him up there not go I.
      Get in touch anytime.

• Garrystokley 18th November 2021 at 9:13 pm

It has become a habit for me lately. A lot of stress and depression follow me everywhere. For a long time I decided on online therapy, but now I understand that it was the right decision https://www.facebook.com/CalmerryTherapy/ After all, sometimes it can be simply unrealistic to cope with this condition on my own.

• Dead Poet 15th December 2021 at 9:51 am

Hi TmonT, first of all well done for actually facing your demons head on. We all forget that Alcohol is actually a depressant & if it were invented today would probably be classified a class a drug. I’m never sure about my own relationship with it, i have always been a drinker & mostly a happy sociable one, however i have seen it wreck many peoples lives, physically & mentally. Recognition of how it’s affecting your life is the first step of the journey towards making change. I’ve heard a lot of people say that groups like AA isn’t for them but i think a problem shared is a problem halved so maybe just your being on here is a step towards a new you. Good luck & keep us all in the loop. Walking & running is great medicine for mental health if you can get into that BTW. Love & light to you mate.

Add