Home Forums Dating Afternoon everyone, I was just wondering if anyone...

Jo-Jo Posted 12 months ago
Afternoon everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had signed up and paid for a subscription on here for dating! Not that anyone can actually meet at the moment but not sure that I really want to set one up properly if there’s not many members within a reasonable distance.

As it stands I only have the option of sending a one liner response, so it’s not ideal, though someone did try to make contact.

Any views would be great 😊

13 likes & 151 replies
    • NeilP 23rd January 2021 at 2:19 pm

Try the facebook dating app it’s free

• Deleted User 23rd January 2021 at 2:29 pm

Trouble is due to Covid you can’t arrange to meet up so its a bit of a waste of money.

• kateyone 6th March 2021 at 11:24 am

No, not meeting up is a good thing…. you can message and really get to know a bit about each other first, you could even face time after a while, if you’d both like to. Meet up after covid knowing a little bit more about each other….. if you get to that stage.

• Marica 9th March 2021 at 3:37 pm

It is still a good way to chat to people if anyone replies and also you can walk with one other person in a park so possible to meet

• loislane 23rd January 2021 at 3:13 pm

I’m not paying because I’m shielding, can’t meet up, I’m coming off match as I’ve had enough.

• kateyone 6th March 2021 at 11:26 am

Match is the worse for Con men! And its so easy to spot them once you know what the signs are.

• THISISIT 6th March 2021 at 8:52 pm

Hi there, interesting, what are the signs you have observed?!

• kateyone 6th March 2021 at 10:09 pm

These are just a few things…..firstly… always always they say the following. ” Hi beautiful I love your smile” I was not smiling in any of my shots. ( dead miserable am haha)
          A second thing they say is that they do not come on site very often, as they are very busy, give me your number so we can chat later, or they will offer their number! This is on the very first contact.
          They have photos up that are not their photos, you can do a reverse photo on the internet and it will tell you if that person is who they say they are.
          look at detail in the photos, there are lots of little give away signs
          you may find. Of course yes this is time consuming and it is something I do if approached on line, I do not do it with every profile on the site.

Remember the old saying if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!
          And of course everyone knows the one thing they do is – somehow somewhere there is a problem….. money is mentioned that is when you should run – man or women!

They have these fantastic stories to try to get money from you.

2 ladies lost their home and every penny, ( documentary) on TV re Match.com.

An old lady last year lost her husband. became very lonely and when on site, she was picked up by a lovely guy, so she thought he managed to get 7k out of her. she said she felt so stupid….. its not about being clever I said… its being vulnerable. These guys are very good at what they do. The one man hired amateur actors to become his family he swindled a lady out of every penny she had.. heart breaking…. these conmen are good at what they do. They are in fact scum.
          But I would not be put off. I am just as careful as I can be. If any man mentioned money in anyway to me I would be saying bye. They are very patient as well, if you are a tough cookie they will wait for the right moment. scum scum that is what they are.
          But remember, the sites also have some lovely genuine men and women on the site. Its not happening all the time. Women and Men are becoming more aware….. This can happen to you by meeting someone off a site….. I should know…. I was that person!! Fate had a way of picking me up and saving me. I am here to tell the tale live my life be happy alone or not… who knows but I cannot let someone destroy me, I cannot let someone take me to that dark place again… I am better than that person and I needed to bounce back. Living is important to me. What does not kill you makes you stronger. Wow… I have gone on a bit… sorry ladies and gents.

• mariacrayproject 7th March 2021 at 7:20 am

Wow, thanks for the advice.

• loislane 7th March 2021 at 5:14 pm

You have given a lot of insight into this, thank you.

• THISISIT 12th March 2021 at 1:14 pm

So glad you shared this, thank you .. this is how we learn, caring & sharing! X

• loislane 6th March 2021 at 9:08 pm

I thought I would spot them, I don’t see it at first. obviously I would never part with money or tell my real name or exactly where I lived

• 650cc dominator 23rd January 2021 at 3:51 pm

I haven’t signed up or paid for anything

• loislane 23rd January 2021 at 4:25 pm

Thing is, that already I’ve seen a lot of profiles that were on match, I don’t forget faces.

• MontyCarlo 7th March 2021 at 1:25 pm

One thing to consider is that a good number of the sites are linked together, so when you see someone on one site, they may not have actually have joined that one, but another that shares its data and members with other sites.
        It’s what’s known as white labelling. Company’s want to set up a dating site, but buy in the ready made site which they brand as their own, but behind the scenes, there are many other white label sites using the same base data sets (your profile). This means that depending on the agreement, they can agree to share profiles between sites or not. Most do because it makes it look like there are lots of members to choose from.

• loislane 7th March 2021 at 5:09 pm

Good info, thanks, not looking to go on them any longer.

• Marica 9th March 2021 at 2:57 pm

I agree, Montycarlo. I first looked into a site called Stich, again for older people . It was small and looked ok until i went on there (it was not free) and tried to look more into it. You could only see some members of the opposite sex but then they sent an email with all the new members on . there were so many attractive women I thought what is the point of me joining with all due respect as men(sorry) are very visual in their choices. But then I saw my friend on there ! I told her and she had NEVER joined it but had gone onto E Harmony for 3 months for a bit of fun whilst on a break from her long term partner. I showed her the photo and it was her profile phot from Facebook . So is this how they are getting people to join? Putting false pics up to encourage the members to pay? She has since come off E Harmony and changed her profile pic on FB too

• MontyCarlo 13th March 2021 at 5:45 pm

I suspect that eHarmony and the other site are linked. Often once you’ve filled in your details and posted pictures they are there for good and you often only have the ability to ‘suspend’ your account rather than delete it, meaning it’s still in theory an active account, just you are not getting the notifications.
          I’m sure there are some more ‘honourable’ dating sites, I’ve just not found them yet! 🤣 After all, they are there just to make money, not actually play Cupid – they have their interests in mind, not the users, but, as long as you understand and can accept that, it is possible to meet someone to spend the rest of your life with.
          I had to put that last bit in as I was in danger of sounding like a grumpy old man with a cynical view of love 🤣

• Marica 13th March 2021 at 6:20 pm

You don’t sound any more cynical than many of us, MontyCarlo! I think it’s age and experience makes many of us feel like this but it is a shame in a way. I can’t see me bothering with any of those sites again but I rarely get out to meet anyone. So I will learn to be happy on my own I think unless a knight turns up in the future having lost his way 😅😂

• MontyCarlo 13th March 2021 at 6:51 pm

Well thank you 😀
          I know what you mean about getting out. I think I’ll have to start joining a few more groups or clubs like walking and photography when we are allowed out again. I think you just have to try everything and see what happens.
          I’m hoping to do an upholstery course and fancy learning how to make beer, but as a nurse working shifts, it’s difficult to commit to regular times or days.
          Get out there when you can and try lots of new things and see what happens 😀🤞

• Marica 13th March 2021 at 10:21 pm

Good advice and well done for being a nurse, a very worthwhile profession and much needed

• MontyCarlo 13th March 2021 at 10:37 pm

Just doing my job! Well, not at the moment as off with Covid but back soon!

• Strot62 12th April 2021 at 6:17 pm

Thank you for the heads up Carl Re dating sites. I gave it a whirl with a friend, years ago. Within a day I received many emails from other dating sites. Also my experience was an upsetting one. 2 guys I took an interest in, bashed me with insults etc, all because I didn’t mention in my profile that I had a physical disability-if a guy showed an interest and we got chatting on a regular basis, I would have mentioned it at some point. also one was disrespectful of my Christian beliefs.

• carmelcotter 23rd January 2021 at 6:09 pm

It would be helpful if you knew a location, no point in trying to start up anything with someone way out of your area. Even when you can meet anyone how would be willing to drive for hours to meet for an initial coffee .

• Bastmanya Moonblood 23rd January 2021 at 6:41 pm

Yep what he said! 😂😂😂

• Chris63 23rd January 2021 at 10:54 pm

Not yet not sure if I’m ready yet

• Deleted User 24th January 2021 at 10:33 am

Hi how are you today ? I’ve met a couple of people on here I talk with what are ya into ? x

• Deleted User 24th January 2021 at 1:03 pm

No i cant realy see any point at the present time .But its nice to chat to people on the site ,Olli x

• peter23 24th January 2021 at 10:50 pm

Not sure about how many have paid but like your style! Me – well the usually really, not over happy and looking for smiles!

• Yogagirl 13th February 2021 at 11:36 am

Hi Jo Jo …. I’m a Jo too!! I just signed up for what I thought was a free dating site but then it went to subscription … I’m with you … I don’t want to pay especially when it said it was free. You could try plenty of fish…… but good luck

• kateyone 4th March 2021 at 9:29 pm

I did subscribe and tried it. I did not have any luck though ahahah Dating sites are much the same really…. trust me I have tried them all over the last 10 yrs and I am still single. Are they too picky or am I? I have not seen anyone that that I would like to wake up to in the morning! No I am not saying I go to bed with all the dates…. but when I look at them first I ask myself ” could I wake next to you every morning and be happy” But then I do see some and say yes, but they may not have a nice profile, a profile that makes me think I would like to get to know more about you. Yes… yes I probably sound very shallow I just can help saying what I mean and being honest with myself. And now as every year passes…. I think hang on I don’t want anyone to move in with. More of a companion, good friend, best friend great friend someone to share good times with.

• Jo-Jo 6th March 2021 at 9:33 am

I know exactly what you mean! 😊

• loislane 6th March 2021 at 9:11 pm

Nothing wrong with what you said, there has to be a physical attraction, like what I see, I know that may not work out in the long run.

• MarieC 8th March 2021 at 11:23 pm

Lol I think that too? Can i wake up next to them, I think its being honest, but the dating game is pretty scary, plus its almost like catalogue shopping?? Yes no no no no yes, lol

• kateyone 9th March 2021 at 12:59 pm

I agree, in fact I am stupid for going on the sites. I think its just boredom with me at times. Once this Covid gets controlled in what ever way it will, I aim to get out more…lol get a life, just me and Alfie start living instead of looking, I am sure I will enjoy that much more than looking at photos on a screen…haha. Btw…Alfie is my dog

• Marica 9th March 2021 at 3:00 pm

Evelyne is on their best behaviour initially , it takes a few months sometimes to see warts and all but if you can cope with those too, then its a winner!

• mariacrayproject 6th March 2021 at 8:27 am

Facebook have a free dating site. It’s
      completely separate from your Facebook page. Plenty of fish is free also. I think dating sites are coming to the end of the road. Wonder what will supersede them. Any ideas

• MontyCarlo 6th March 2021 at 8:50 am

Without wishing to be cynical ……….🤣

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 6th March 2021 at 9:02 am

I don’t know why they say it’s free and then you pay and some are not a match at all 😬

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 9th March 2021 at 9:11 am

No not yet as I haven’t seen anyone worthwhile so I don’t think I would until that happens otherwise it’s money gonna waisted ✅

• Deleted User 9th March 2021 at 12:33 pm

I’ve had some really nice dates from Bumble which is free. Nothing that’s come to anything yet but some have stayed as friends.
      During lock down I came off as there were lots of bored people just chatting then disappearing.
      Also meeting for a damp socially distanced walk is no fun!

• Marica 9th March 2021 at 2:45 pm

Yes, I signed up for this Restless one (the paid one) when feeling very low just before Christmas when pushed by a friend to do so and to be honest , it has been a complete waste of time for me. Some people never replied , some people who are “matched to you” never bother to get in touch so why are the on there? I don’t bother with it and wish I had never wasted my money. I just put it down to a lesson to learn but would never join any of the bigger ones

• PhilB 9th March 2021 at 4:01 pm

I added myself to see what it was about, and recognised the format immediately. It’s basically a single database that gets shared across various different services, so whichever you sign up for you get exactly the same contacts. Another point that’s worth mentioning is that, as you know, the one liner service is free, and you’re not allowed to put contact details. They enforce this by having people who *read every single message* which gets sent via the one liners. It’s not something they advertise and you have to dig deep to find where they say it. It’s distasteful IMO.

• Heidi 10th March 2021 at 11:09 pm

Yes, it’s rather pricey and easy to have payments rolling forward each month.
      So far few close enough suitable partners.

• Deleted User 13th March 2021 at 5:22 pm

Hi Jo Jo
      My thoughts exactly, I set up a profile, but reluctant to subscribe, as I would like to know there are local members, guess its chance.
      Let me know how you get on.
      Karen

• Anonymous User (no longer active) 13th March 2021 at 10:38 pm

yea ,,I,ve just used the one-liners , and “favourit” bit to make a contact , but not much point in paying subs when we can hardly move out of your own street !,,saving myself ! ha ha

• Robert Jones 17th March 2021 at 1:56 pm

I had a look yesterday. I live in the mountains in North Wales. Every one is miles away

• Sonny1234 12th April 2021 at 3:58 pm

Reading some of the comments I don’t think there is any point JoJo, & don’t fret , it may take time but it will all be right in the end !!!

• Patricia53 9th July 2021 at 10:40 pm

I’ve paid for a month and so far I’ve had 1 conversation that was 4 messages each and his last one was him asking about sex so I blocked him. Apart from that it’s only people roughly 20 years older that look at my profile and whilst I’m not ageist they’re as old as my dad. Im cancelling at the end of the month 🤣

• Deleted User 10th July 2021 at 5:34 pm

I tried the free but think it is linked to all the other dating sites out there and maybe it’s me but feel a lot of people on there not really looking for long term

• Deleted User 10th July 2021 at 5:46 pm

Without having a paid subscription, you can work out how many people meet your criteria then divide one by t’other are calculate your cost per potential contact.

• Brighton Belle 29th July 2021 at 8:33 pm

Why haven people put photos on here on their profile have they” hidden agendas”…??

• Deleted User 31st July 2021 at 7:35 pm

If you’re serious about online dating, irrespective of the outcome you seek, surely it makes most sense to advertise -cos that’s what you’re doing, advertising- on the site with the most people in the age range you want to advertise to. Looking at the way these sites work, it struck me that anyone with an account on the major sites could do research for others by adjusting their search criteria. I wonder if that goes on much?

• Sandyg 22nd January 2021 at 11:16 pm

they must have made a mistake, you cant send messages, except the prescribed one-liners, if not paid for subscription, unless the other person has subscribed and paid the extra £10 a month to allow non-paid-up members to be able to message them at no cost to themselves.

• loislane 13th February 2021 at 11:59 am

Some have paid so they can be messaged for free, else it’s only one liners

• Deleted User 22nd January 2021 at 10:38 pm

I’ve been talking to a lady for over a week now and neither of us subscribed

• Deleted User 22nd January 2021 at 7:00 pm

I’ve met a lady to talk to & I haven’t subscribed i think you have to except whoever writes to you then if you both accept contacting each other you can send private messages to one another

Add