Home Forums Jobs & Careers After taking early retirement five years ago at 55...

Stephen32 Posted 11 months ago
After taking early retirement five years ago at 55 due to health issues i have just taken plunge and have received a request to book an online Interview for a P/T job. Its been at least 20 years since i last had interview. Not sure if this one is going to be more or less stressful as its online

Interview

3 likes & 5 replies
    • ljsteward 10th June 2021 at 9:33 pm

Congratulations on getting the interview! I know this can be awkward or uncomfortable being online as well as not having any practice for some time. Make sure your tech set up is correct so you will come across as best as possible. Test your video and sound quality before hand and make sure your background is as clutter free as possible. Remember to project your voice and smile often as you do your best to be yourself. Be prepared to ask your own questions as appropriate and focus on the position being discussed. Ask about the key elements of the job and the challenges involved. Do your best to address how your background fits the role described. For feedback, you can ask if your background and experience sounds like what they are looking for. That will give you a chance to reposition yourself if necessary. Read up on the standard interview questions normally asked such as what salary level are you seeking, etc. so you can answer with confidence and not get thrown off balance. Keep in mind, this is the first step. To ultimately get an offer, you typically need to have numerous interviews. While waiting to hear back, continue to do your homework and see if you can find someone at the company via some research that you could contact via a network approach to learn more about the position and the company. Actually, if you could do that in advance of this interview, that would be the best way to prepare yourself.

Good luck. Report back about your experience to help other people prepare.

• Stephen32 18th June 2021 at 4:40 pm

Well had my interview on Wed which went surprisingly well considering both my ears were clogged up and couldn’t hear very well. Been waiting all day for them to confirm i didn’t get job and lady just phoned me saying that myself and another candidate scored very highly and they couldn’t decide between us and they were passing it over to their manager to decide next week, so another few days of waiting but at least good to hear i did so well

• LESSHER2 18th June 2021 at 9:16 pm

Well done you!! I took voluntary redundancy last year at 64. Also due to ill health and therefore desiring more ‘me’ time, I am also looking for a part time position. I have had about 4 online interviews now and much the same as yourself, I had not had a formal interview for over 20 years. My issue these days is that I am very direct with both questions and answers. I find it extremely difficult to pander to what the interviewers want to hear. I think that I am either too old and sceptical, or I don’t really want to work at all. I know that I am capable of doing the work with a blindfold and my hands tied behind my back in many of the cases. I also know that mentally I need to get back into routine and good work ethic. In every case I know where I went wrong during the interview. How do I give myself a kick up the proverbial and overcome my aversion to anything but the truth?

• Maria Loten 30th June 2021 at 3:34 pm

I think it’s very important to tell the truth in an interview. No employer wants to offer someone a job and find out later on that they lied about their skills or experience. In terms of whether you’re the right person for the company and they’re right for you, an interview is a 2-way process, and there’s no point pretending that you think you’d be happy there, if you truly believe you wouldn’t.

You’re half way there if you know where you’re going wrong. In my career I’ve interviewed 100s of people and given feedback to unsuccessful candidates. I found many people are not as self-aware as you are, and couldn’t see the mistakes they’d made. Not many people enjoy the interview process, but if you look at it as a means to an end, then you can get in the right mindset to think of ways to adjust the way you approach it so you don’t make the same mistakes next time.

I’m not sure what you mean about pandering to what the interviewers want to hear. My experience of interviewing was that I wanted to hear more from the candidate to give me a deeper understanding of their skills and experience. To put more details behind the words on the page in their CV or application forms, and help me decide if they were the right person for the job.

I hope this helps.
          Maria

• ElaineO. 11th July 2021 at 7:11 am

Always good for the mind helps to remind and re-evaluate our skills and experience being interviewed.Do it online another skill to navigate ….hopefully wasnt too stressful!

Add