Home Forums Jobs & Careers After 24 years with British Airways in a customer service role , I have been made redundant on 31/07. I feel a bit demotivated as I feel my age,52, and Brexit, having an Italian passaport, will not make it easy for me looking for another job around Gatwick area. Suggestions, tips and supportive mess

Add comment

• After 24 years with British Airways in a customer service role , I have been made redundant on 31/07. I feel a bit demotivated as I feel my age,52, and Brexit, having an Italian passaport, will not make it easy for me looking for another job around Gatwick area. Suggestions, tips and supportive mess

I have been working for British Airways in a customer service role with team
    leader tasks for over 24 years and I have been made redundant on 31/07. I feel a bit demoralised as I feel that my age, 52, and Brexit, having an Italian passaport, will make hard for me to find a new job opportunity. Any advice, tips and support is very welcomed

Posted by linamorgera
Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Reply by Karen

Hi Lina, Please don’t feel demotivated! I understand you will feel bereft & a loss of identity after losing your job of 24 years. 52 is young & you will have so much still to offer. I am currently working with several other BA workers who were recently made redundant & now having fun again. I’d be happy to have a quick chat if that helps?  Feel free to direct message me xx

• Reply by linamorgera

Thank you Karen

• Reply by anitagregory44

im 50 in November. my kids are grown. I used to be afraid of ageing but ive accepted it now. being over 50 isn’t bad, its good cos weve raised our families and now its our time. less money at the moment but there are so many things around that don’t cost anything. local communities have groups, meet new people,leave your purse at home and go for a walk. its autumn now but the great outdoors is beautiful this time of year. put on a warm coat, drag a brush through unwashed hair haha. wear a hat. I like the masks, you only need to mascara. don’t need lipstick . im just going with the flow. im actually worried that im to free now and don’t want to work! the pressure of finding work was really make me sad. so delete the websites, too much competition. I believe we will all find something. you just have to relax because this covid has caused a massive ripple all over the world and all we can do is stay safe and find what works for us. worse things in life than not having a job! stay calm and be happy xx

• Reply by linamorgera

You are right I should start to live my time too. Thank you x

I do voluntary work on my nearby country park. I don’t get paid, but since lockdown I have met lots of lovely people walking their dogs, taking walks etc. I have become a proper volunteer now. I litter pick every evening and I wear orange hi viz and orange gloves and ride a red bike! all our visitors know me now and it feels like its opened a brand new social life for me. I pick litter, cut brambles down and empty bins. its not glamorous but its such a good way to open my world and I enjoy the praise I get off people for keeping park so clean. we have wildlife and groups of young people sit in woods round a fire  and I meet them all the time to give them bin bags. getting into nature really helped my mental health. to get through these hard times,dont rush into work cos there isn’t any! enjoy freedom, the bills can wait. our physical and mental health are priority. think of this break as unpaid holiday. go bed late, have lie ins. stay off the jobsites cos all they do is make you more depressed xx

when I was laid off before I was made redundant I had time for myself. I did all the de cluttering of the house, jobs that never got done normally. I bought some notepads and went for cycles and found a hidden area where I went to be alone. ive learnt so much about myself this year. I need more money but I think being out of work isn’t always a bad time. you are free to start hobbies. I practise mindfulness and I spend a lot of time on my own, but ive time for me now. Christmas gonna be smaller this year but, we are all in same boat. all ages are losing jobs. iget help off council, they donate food to me and my unemployed sons, so I do my community work to give something back. sometimes not working can show you a new way of life! stay positive and if you want to scream, scream!if you want to cry, cry! take exercise like cycling, jogging, maybe yoga or meditation. get outdoors and breathe. stay away from pubs and booze haha life can be good, its a case of changing your mindset. xx

I do voluntary work, cleaning country park. its opened a new social life for me. I cycle around every night and know everyone walking dogs etc. its helped my mental health. ive met wonderful people and I feel like ive a purpose. I don’t get paid but the benefits of nature doesn’t cost any money. im part of a lovely diverse group of volunteers who are all doing different work but we are always happy when in Highfield country park. I believe nature got me through lock down and my redundancy. I really don’t think I would be here today if I hadn’t found nature, the wonderful nature and wonderful people who you pass a few minutes of time with. social distancing of course! volunteers are happy cos they do work for pleasure and not money and we choose our own hours! recommend it x

• Reply by Margarita

Hi Lina,

I think now it’s even more important to look after your self, practising self-compassion and self- care. This can help you to overcome your feelings of frustrations and can assist you in staying more positive. Check out if you can find an online mindfulness class, this can help you with all this.

A next step can be to review your skills and strengths. Not to forget to assess what you actually passionate about. All these insights assist you in identifying new opportunities and potential job areas.

I hope this helps a bit to get you started. Get help if you need assistance in the above.

Warmly, Margarita

• Reply by linamorgera

Thank you Margarita for your lovely words xx

• Reply by Ritzy

Don’t be deterred by your age or your nationality and if anything see it as a plus.  You have a language skills that other people don’t.  Never put your age or nationality on your CV.  People don’t need to know.  You just need to get shortlisted (mostly done on paper nowadays) and then when you are in front of the employer or in front of Zoom or Microsoft Teams for the interview you can WOW them with your charm and competence.  Keep up your spirits.  I am Italian and am 59 (on furlough since April) and I still have a lot to give.  Stay positive.  All the best.

• Reply by linamorgera

Thank you very much for the advise and positive words x

its so difficult. you have lost a valued job. I lost a beloved 15 year job and its harder because of covid. keep looking. I walk into bars and shops putting my name down. I believe that experience is great but as soon as age comes into it , there are so many rejections. if you are customer service, supermarkets and retail could be worth a try. good luck

• Reply by linamorgera

Thank you for the advice x

Viewing 7 reply threads