Home Forums Pets & Animals Adopting a cat.

karsteele Posted 1 year ago
Adopting a cat.

I’m posting everywhere so if you’ve seen this before, Sorry.
I recently lost my beloved cat having had her for 15 years. I am now desperate to find another one to love. Any age from 1 year to 5 years. A female.
I have tried every single rehoming place far and wide, and they say they haven’t got any! I can’t believe they are not desperate to have their cats adopted.
So please this is going to have to be a private rescue centre (where I got my last little one but that is now closed). Or by word of mouth. Please try and help me because I am lost without a cat especially in this time we are in. Thank you very much Karen. I would like a female. Karen

12 likes & 40 replies
    • Teresa Ann Francesca 30th January 2021 at 5:43 pm

I got my Vivian from Cats protection in October. They delivered!
      I was lost after my Princess went over the rainbow bridge
      Wood Green also had plenty at the time

• karsteele 30th January 2021 at 5:50 pm

Theresa – Thank you for your words. Cat’s protection has nothing in my area. Because of Covid they can’t do transfers and can only deliver if I am not too far away. I’ve tried all the other organisations too. In ordinary times I would go anywhere in the country to get one but I don’t think that would be considered an necessary journey even though it is for my sanity. My baby went over the bridge in October too. What a time to go – leaving us alone and devastated. I hope your new baby has settled in well. X

• Teresa Ann Francesca 30th January 2021 at 6:34 pm

I’m so sorry to see this karsteele. I haven’t got any more ideas
      Hope you can find a puss soon somehow . Believe me, I do know how you feel. Vivian loves being here, run of the house and garden.
      She don’t like being touched which is sad cos I need cuddles
      Also she dosent purr or miow
      But she growls when I try to touch her
      I hope you will find a furry friend SOON

• Glenys 3rd February 2021 at 8:25 am

Of she doesn’t like being touched, she may have an injury, or a sore stomach.

• loislane 6th February 2021 at 4:24 am

When I got my cat Millie, we were her third or fourth home, she always hid, very scared, wouldn’t go out. Couldn’t pick her up, and she was wary, understandable. She needed a quiet home so she could just be. That’s what we gave her…time, left her to do her own thing. She could be very aggressive. We have had her for 7 years. She’s not overly fond of being picked up still but we can, follows us everywhere, purrs most of the time, always on her back and now allows me to gently stroke her tummy without her trying to bite. Jumps up on my lap occasionally. So I’m happy with her progress, she is 11 in April, also my birth month.

• karsteele 9th February 2021 at 3:13 pm

Give her time and she will be begging for cuddles. X

• karsteele 30th January 2021 at 6:55 pm

It will take time to win her round but she will. Is yours a kitten or an older one.
      My Pepsi was 2 years when I got her in a very sad emotional state. She didn’t like being touched. I made a bed for her on a bottom shelf of some wicker shelves but wouldn’t come out for a couple of weeks. I had to put her litter tray and food within reach. My lovely grand-daughter, who was 7 or 8 at the time used tocome and visit and lie on the floor beside her talking. She assured me she could speak cat. Well it worked and between us she became loving, trusting and happy and enjoyed life. It’s such a pleasure when you are patient and win them round. Have fun I’m envious. I’ll let you know when I get my next baby. Karen

• karsteele 30th January 2021 at 6:58 pm

Just an extra Teresa. Some cats don’t miouw ( never know how to spell it) She’ll purr when she’s at ease and trusts you. Obviously somone has been rough with her that’s why she growls. Talk to her all the time, at her level. All will be well. Karen

• Lizzib 30th January 2021 at 11:51 pm

Is it because they haven’t got any or can’t do checks etc because of Covid. I thought all rescues were bursting at the seams.

• Lizzib 30th January 2021 at 11:53 pm

Sorry for your loss, it’s is a terrible thing to go through. As you say, made worse by the current situation. Try to think of the wonderful life you gave them.

• Lizzib 30th January 2021 at 11:58 pm

Where are you BTW?

• karsteele 31st January 2021 at 12:13 am

I’m in Staines on the border of ~Windsor.

• karsteele 31st January 2021 at 12:17 am

Bit behind on reading messages LIZZIB. I always thought they were bursting at the seams too and surely they can’t go on for months without rehoming. But no matter where I’ve contacted I get little or no response from them even though I have found a little kitty I want to adopt – filled out the forms, about a week or so ago. Got an acknowledgement but nothing else despite emailing them again. I really am confused about it. I’ll just keep on trying. Karen

• loislane 6th February 2021 at 4:27 am

Pester them, keep going. I find it bizarre, what are they doing with them if not rehoming. Also, there are people who take in strays and board them, might be worth looking into.

• Amanda Clark 31st January 2021 at 1:35 am

Karen, have you tried the Kit Wilson Trust? They are based in East Sussex, but might be willing to transfer – they always have cats looking for permanent homes.

• S 31st January 2021 at 8:05 am

What part of the country are you in? My friend does cat rescue and is always looking for homes.

• Dorothea 31st January 2021 at 11:45 am

Try leaving your name, contact details and that you want a female cat. at your local vets practices. Sometimes, people who find stray cats take them to a vets and if not claimed, one might need a home, or there might be a client whose cat needs rehoming if the owner can’t keep her for whatever reason (like the owner going into a care home or hospital).

• Ali Kerr 31st January 2021 at 11:51 am

Hi Karen
      You could try contacting Helena at [email protected] as she sometimes has cats that have been rescued from Egypt and is based in Hitchin. Also St Francis Persian Cat Rescue. Although they do rescue a lot of Persians, they do have other breeds as well. They are based in Yorkshire but there is a contact in the Reading area who may be able to help. http://www.stfrancisrescue.co.uk/
      Fingers crossed for you Karen!

• JellyBean 31st January 2021 at 2:09 pm

Have you joined any pet rescue groups on Facebook? I am always seeing posts for cats (and dogs) needing homes? Which part of the country are you in? I lost my 21 year old Kitty in December. Luckily I have another cat who is 11 years old and still going strong.

• karsteele 31st January 2021 at 3:34 pm

No. Thank you for the tip. karen

• Jacsmart 31st January 2021 at 7:27 pm

Which area do you live in?

Sorry i have just seen
      Definitely try face book there are quite a few animal charities on there

• karsteele 31st January 2021 at 10:56 pm

Shall do. Karen

• karsteele 4th February 2021 at 7:00 pm

Hi everyone – I’m going spare, frantic. I have tried every possible outlet for adopting a cat. Little or no response from any of them. I have emailed and told them a or more cat that I am interested in. No luck. It seems that everyone can blame Covid lock down but I don’t believe they are feeding and catching and taking in cats and not found a way to rehome them. One hands free delivery but I can’t get a response from them even though they have cats.. I’m as so sad and needy I feel like crying. I promise I tried all that you’ve all recommended and more. But no nearer. Just had to pour out my sadness because I’m sitting here wanting tohave a very large whisky and go and bury myself under the duvet. and it’s only 7 o’clock. No enticement to get up either. #And I know it sounds creepy but I think I keep hearing her or seeing her shadow fleet by. She jumped on the bed the other night and I put my hand out to get her and of course she wasn’t there. I’m sorry I probably sound a bit off, but that’s how it is. Thanks for listening/reading. Karen

• Lovetohelp 28th March 2021 at 10:54 pm

Hi Karsteele,

Just noticed catcuddles.org.uk and Lola’s sanctuary are both doing adoptions, one does fostering cats/dogs. Good luck 🐈🙏

• MeltheMinx 5th February 2021 at 7:56 pm

Hi Karen, so sorry to hear about your cat. Not sure where you live but my son & partner are looking to rehome their 2 cats – brother & sister, around 18 months/2 years old I think. They aren’t allowed to take the cats when they move unfortunately. They’re lovely little things, really friendly, litter trained etc. Only thing is, they need to go together.

• karsteele 6th February 2021 at 12:32 am

Thank you for contacting me. Unfortunately I live in a block but am allowed only one cat. How sad they can’t take them with them. I had to fight for that as well. And my place has now changed their policy. I’m in Staines near Windsor just our of interest. Sorry would love to help. Karen.

• Belindalou 6th February 2021 at 1:50 am

Hi Karen, not sure where you are, I am near Wembley. I have had quite a bit of involvement with cats and volunteering, you could try Lulubells, Precious Paws at Convivial Cats in Rickmansworth, Guardian Angels, Hounslow animal welfare trust and catchat online may be useful. My local cats protection in Harrow may have some, I believe they were looking for fosters, good luck x

• karsteele 9th February 2021 at 9:38 pm

Yes I’ve been in touch with most of them including Cats Protection and Guardian Angels. The trouble is with the present lockdown they will only deal with you if youre in their area. Thank you for your help. Karen

• Travelspirit 6th February 2021 at 3:06 am

I don’t know what their current situation is with covid but I’ve aways gone to either ether Foal Farm or Romney House cat rescue. Both in Biggin hill so bit of a journey but both very good. Not sure on restrictions for travelling there under these circumstances either!

• karsteele 6th February 2021 at 3:22 pm

Thank you, everyone, who is trying to help. Unfortunately with the present lock down the restrictions are too heavy to travel far. Regards Karen. I will let you all know when it happens.

• loislane 7th February 2021 at 6:07 pm

[email protected], her daughter has a 7 year old cat called Tilly up for adoption as she has developed asthma and now allergic

• ValH 9th February 2021 at 6:24 pm

So sorry to hear about your cat. They really do take a bit chunk of your heart with them. I’m not sure if this has been suggested but have you tried contacting your local vet? We got one of our five from the vet our first cat was registered with. My sister also got her cat from her local vet. It’s worth a try.

• karsteele 9th February 2021 at 9:35 pm

No hadn’t thought of that. Shall phone tomorrow. Thank you. Karen

• Solo 16th February 2021 at 1:57 pm

Have you tried Cats Protection at Harrow, that the nearest homing center. I think they are also looking for people to foster.

• karsteele 16th February 2021 at 6:26 pm

Thank you everyone for all the help you have sent my way. I have at last got a lovely 5 year old lady, whose owner has died, and she’s very sad. I did get her via a good friend who is friends with the leader of a cat’s rehoming place. So I’ve been lucky. Her name is Mimi and I shall get her in about 6 weeks when she’s had all her health checks etc. I’m going to try and attach her photo but knowing me I’ll probably mess it up. No can’t do it I’ll wait till I’ve got her and take one. Thank you again. Karen

Add