Home Forums General Absolute favourite holiday ….

Gill B Posted 8 months ago
Absolute favourite holiday ….

If you could choose to relive a particular holiday all over again, what would it be? Where? Why

1 like & 79 replies
    • dannyboy 4th April 2021 at 8:54 am

The Ikos Oceania, Halkidiki, Greece. A beautiful hotel. Was there as part of our celebration for our fortieth anniversary. At the time we didn’t know my wife was ill. Within two weeks of our return, she diagnosed with leukaemia and admitted to Hospital. The rest is history. It was a magical holiday, a magical place full of incredible memories.

• Carol.L 4th April 2021 at 9:11 am

Danny that holiday must hold such bitter sweet memories for you, I do hope it brings you comfort to remember the happy times you shared with your wife.

• Gill B 4th April 2021 at 10:47 am

Sounds a great place in your heart, and especially so given what happened after. Some diagnoses bring such devastating news, and to have such a serious condition resulting in a significantly shorted life is mind blowing. So little time to get your house in order for those you leave behind, and so little time to get used to what lies ahead for those who survive.

I am sorry Danny – but I am glad you had such wonderful memories of that last treasured holiday together – even although it may be very upsetting to you to think of it and write about it! Thank you so much for sharing though.

• Marica 5th April 2021 at 6:51 pm

That is so sad for you Danny , but I am glad you had that amazing holiday . Halkidiki is supposed to be beautiful but i have never been

• dannyboy 4th April 2021 at 9:29 am

I’ve been fortunate. Had brilliant holidays all over. Hawaii, Las Vegas, Dubai, India, Mexico, the list seems endless. they all hold fabulous memories. None more so than family holidays as a kid in Cornwall and Devon, or as a teenager, with mates at Butlins. Happy, happy days

• Gill B 4th April 2021 at 10:49 am

Its amazing how we can go back to our younger days and think the simple holidays were great, and bring back terrific memories along side the more exotic locations!

• susan693 4th April 2021 at 9:36 am

Sorrento Italy with my daughter 4 months after my 38 year marriage broke down…start of my healing, a most fabulous place. Lots of lovely holidays Carradale Bay on mull of Kintyre..special went there as a child then with my own children..

• Gill B 4th April 2021 at 10:56 am

I loved Sorrento Italy too and what a wonderful start of you new chapter in your life. My holiday in Sorrento was in a tent with first husband who six months left – but it was a brilliant holiday together and holds special memories for me too.

I love Scotland. One of my favourite holiday destinations for sure. How precious!

• Marica 5th April 2021 at 6:52 pm

Mull is lovely and a great place to escape to . I have never been to Italy so would you recommend Sorrento as one of the better places to go , Susan?

• Colin in Kent 4th April 2021 at 10:35 am

2015 Gordes in the south of France. Not only was it our tenth wedding anniversary, but my wife’s first trip outside the country after becoming disabled in 2000. She was well on the long slow path to recovery by then, but still hugely anxious about the trip, which we took on the Eurostar. An amazing holiday, beautiful villages, spectacular Roman ruins, and the people so friendly and welcoming. We’d planned on going back there for her fiftieth this year, but will postpone that now till next year but will definitely go back.

My second most memorable would be 2010 in Los Angeles. I tracked down a friend (via Twitter) whom I hadn’t seen since the late 90s when we all worked together, and found he’d moved to LA to join his two brothers. He immediately said I should go and stay with him. I could never have afforded the fare, but as luck would have it, I had just started a new job and they were sending me to their executive office in Denver, and agreed to fly me on to LA for a holiday afterwards, and also fly me home. It was amazing and quite surreal at times as I suppose only LA can be (I dined out for years on having met a shadowy CIA agent that claimed to have shot Kennedy!), and I can never be grateful enough to my friend for his hospitality. He was single at the time, having been through one miserable and toxic relationship after another, but met the most wonderful woman a couple of years later, and my wife and I had another great holiday attending their wedding in Scotland in 2016. They are just beautiful people. Wonderful memories of being with them, fun and endless laughter.

• Gill B 4th April 2021 at 2:43 pm

Those last few words Colin are lovely to hear – fun and endless laughter. What lovely people two amazing yet contrasting trips.

France I would like to see more of, as indeed more of Europe in general. We always thought we would get the long haul out of the way (with amazing trips) and then hone in on Europe as H got older. That didn’t quite work according to plan, but the good thing is we had some brilliant long haul holidays to remember before we finally came to anchor. I of course still have that chance to see a bit more of the world, but one step at a time!

• Marica 5th April 2021 at 6:53 pm

That is a wonderful memory and story , Colin. You could have got some “favours” done there!!

• Colin in Kent 8th April 2021 at 11:37 am

I know! I googled the guy at the time and saw he was at Waco as well, so definitely shady. My mate (dyed in the wool South London) called out to him across the parking lot after we’d looked his name up, ‘Ere, mate, did you shoot JFK?’ To which he replied ‘I can’t talk about that.’

• Marica 8th April 2021 at 2:48 pm

Glad he was on your side then!!

• Carol.L 4th April 2021 at 11:14 am

Hard to choose a favourite Gill as I’ve had some fabulous holidays. I would love to go back to New Zealand after going whale watching there and landing by helicopter on the Franz Josef Glacier. The scenery in the South Island especially was outstanding, Alpine almost in places, then fjords, Lake Tekapo, cable car over Queenstown. Mt. Cook, Christchurch before the earthquake…so many spectacular places. Second place would go to my three visits to my brother’s place in W. Australia 3 hours south of Perth.

• Gill B 4th April 2021 at 2:36 pm

I loved New Zealand Carol. We did north and south on a 3 week tour, and I particularly loved South Island. Also before earthquake.

I have only even been to Sidney to take H to watch the last match in an Ashes series I think in 2014. Apart from a trip into the Blue Mountains we didn’t venture further afield as no time. I quite like the idea of going to do a proper visit. I have a friend who is likely to move to Melbourne or thereabouts. She has been stuck out there for a year, but she was from Melbourne originally and has family there. She is thinking of moving back permanently. If she does I would be very tempted. I also have family in Brisbane (originally from South Africa) whom I know well. I wouldn’t do a solo trip (don’t mind flying, but would rather experience it with someone if I were to go). Its lurking on my bucket list.

• LeighS 6th April 2021 at 10:21 pm

I loved my time in New Zealand. Was lucky enough to spend an extended time there on a youth exchange program back in 1981. Spent all the time in the South Island staying with different families. Lake Wanaka was one of my favourite places, although I have good memories of them all 🙂

• Margaret B 4th April 2021 at 11:36 am

I have to say Perth in W. Australia visiting relatives was a highlight especially as there are not many of us left now. Happy memories.

• Margaret B 4th April 2021 at 12:15 pm

Yes we did, love the Quokkas on Rottnest Island, we also went down to Mandurah to visit relatives. Also, in Gooseberry Hill is Patsy Durack Rose gardens which is my late cousin’s wife.

• Gill B 4th April 2021 at 2:38 pm

Thanks Margaret .. its so interesting to hear of the places and holidays that people have loved the most! I’m not sure I will ever make it there, but you never know! I fear that airfares are going to be astronomical for a few years to come now.

• Carol.L 4th April 2021 at 3:10 pm

Mandurah is lovely too, great cafe life!

• Dreamyboy 4th April 2021 at 3:47 pm

Tokyo – took our son there for his 21st – stayed in a family suite in the Hilton, cost us a fortune but loved everything about the country and the people. Would love to go back to see the rest of the country and a Japanese family friend who lives in Okinawa.

• Gill B 4th April 2021 at 9:19 pm

Friends went to Japan the other year and felt exactly the same way. She was in a shop trying to buy a water, and coudn’t find the right money. A local, clearly complete stranger, insisted on buying the water for her. How wonderful!

• Josie The Black Country Wench 4th April 2021 at 5:19 pm

Those of you who all ready know me know that Crete is my favourite place to holiday. I love to get to our little house in Maronia, in the mountain village in Eastern Crete. Throw open all the doors and windows and let the sunshine chase away all the mustiness and dampness that has collected while we have been away. Wait for our favourite cat to come and see us. Then the next day go down to the coast and meet up with all our friends who live there full time.
      Miss it so much since Covid prevented us going there 18 months ago, just missed the deadline and our flight was cancelled. Now have to wait even after restrictions are lifted for my health to be well enough to fly.

• Working artist 5th April 2021 at 5:06 am

Being a bit of a culture freak (and an artist), I took my late husband to the Museum of Modern Art in Paris to see ‘La Fee Electricite’ by Dufy. He was an engineer and the look on his face was priceless! It is an enormous room covered by a painting – indescribable really. Has anyone else seen it?

• Gill B 5th April 2021 at 8:50 am

That looks amazing! I love the colours!

It has reminded that I would love to go and see street art around the world (obvs not all on the same trip) but I have seen some incredible photos from different locations, some permanent some temporary.

• adeliza0165 5th April 2021 at 6:04 am

Gosh! There’s so many lovely places around the world… Beautiful for different things. went olu deniz many years ago – stunning place of natural beauty – grand canyons too! Skiathos is probably my most favourite greek island – every part of it is so pretty. Barcelona has it all! Stunning city with everything! Madeira for its amazing and beautiful gardens, loved Sri Lanka for its culture and lush rolling hills and stradsbrook island for its varied and different fauna and flora.

• Gill B 5th April 2021 at 8:55 am

I had to google Olu Deniz and Stradsbrook Island as I didn’t know where they were. I have never fancied Turkey or mainland Greece for that matter, simply because of the temperatures more than anything. Maybe a Greek Island one day. I am intrigued by Barcelona and of course it isn’t far. Madeira I know very well as I have been going more or less every year for over 20 years but always in the spring. Sri Lanka I went to for honeymoon – a tour – and the scenery was just so amazing!

Thanks for sharing your choices Adeliza

• adeliza0165 5th April 2021 at 7:01 pm

I never thought I’d want to go to turkey…until I discovered olu deniz. Back then it wasn’t built up with hotels, just a few locantas. I was surprised how much there was to see… dalaman reminded me of Thailand, pammukale – beautifully unusual and the fascinating ruins of Ephesus.
          You must see Greece – I’m sure you would love Skiathos – very beautiful, particularly kouconaris.

• dannyboy 5th April 2021 at 6:19 am

We have been lucky to see so much of this stunning world that we live in.

• adeliza0165 5th April 2021 at 6:57 am

Yes – i think it’s one of life’s greatest privilege to be able to see the world and it’s many wonders.

• Gill B 5th April 2021 at 8:58 am

I feel I have done well too Danny exploring different places around the world. Impossible to do it all of course, but putting a bucket list together for fun. I fear that flights will become increasingly expensive over the next few years until there is some normality in travel once again, so I am equally happy to explore my home turf for a while.

• adeliza0165 5th April 2021 at 11:21 am

Definitely! We have some beautiful areas… Lake District…
          Cotswolds…peak District..Brecon beacons… Snowdonia…new forest…Devon and Cornwall…scilly isles… we are spoilt for choice really 😉

• Gill B 5th April 2021 at 1:55 pm

The list is endless if you actually want to visit places instead of driving through!

• Jojo15 5th April 2021 at 7:53 am

Barbados. Lovely people, food and scenery. Happy memories.

• Jojo15 5th April 2021 at 10:14 am

It was! I’m sure it’s probably changed since I went there but it was a lovely place to escape to.

• paulinevaughan2015 5th April 2021 at 10:37 am

My next one whenever and wherever that may be.

I am sooo looking forward to it

• Gill B 5th April 2021 at 1:06 pm

I am sure. I think you said before you love to travel and have really missed it last year! So no plans yet Pauline?

• paulinevaughan2015 5th April 2021 at 2:04 pm

24 hours is long enough to plan around the world trip! We’ll the first stage anyway. But then I don’t mind sleeping a bit rough. As long as I’ve got my phone, charger, and debit card I can go anywhere. Although I do prefer a certain brand of sun tan lotion if there is going to be a need for it.

• Marica 5th April 2021 at 7:04 pm

I think mine would be Jamaica as my second husband planned a wedding there for us without telling me until he announced he’d booked a holiday for us and “to bring a white dress”! He had a very subtle dry humour! My dress was not white in the end. But we went on a sandals holiday and lots of other couples were getting married and we met a fab couple young enough to be our children! They called us Proxy mum and dad and were English but lived in Amsterdam and after the holiday we stayed with them a few times. They were such live wires, I could never understand why they stuck with us as they knew everyone but we just all hit it off. The whole holiday /honeymoon was amazing, seeing Bob Marley’s house amongst many other sites and we had our own concierge! Just amazing

• hell.fenn 6th April 2021 at 10:05 pm

Too hard to choose one.
      We had a static caravan for a holiday home when our children were small which we all loved.
      Carribean cruise …….. Ibiza ……… Cuba …….. India………. Crete ……… Canary Island
      All beautiful holidays and memories.

• Gill B 6th April 2021 at 10:18 pm

I think it’s hard to find just one. We went on many holidays with friends. Occasionally the question comes up what was the best holiday. We pick one then another. Then oh what about this one or that one. We just can’t choose. How fortunate to have more than one great holiday to choose from!!! Thank you!

• Deleted User 7th April 2021 at 5:44 pm

Hi,
      I have had quite a few wonderful holidays, but the two I would choose would be Montego Bay, Jamacia for my husbands 50th, and also Bali which was our last holiday together, as Roy passed away 2 years later aged 55

• Gill B 7th April 2021 at 6:24 pm

ahhh I’m sorry .. .we just never know what is around the corner. GIllaz.

Spent a day in Jamaica on a cruise and loved it. Vowed to return. Never have. Bali was a three day stop over and beautiful. I can quite understand why those holidays are up there at the top of you list for more reasons than one!! Lovely memories

Add