Home Forums General A lovely walk after lunch in Rochester yesterday,...

• A lovely walk after lunch in Rochester yesterday, a beautiful place so much to see, it never fails to impress me

Attachments:
    Posted by Glenda
    • Reply by Colin in Kent

Love Rochester, a jewel in the otherwise somewhat grimy crown of the Medway towns! Nearly moved there some years ago (until a place came up opposite my sister-in-law’s house), and still visit frequently. I love the different settings there – by the river, the medieval town, the countryside. Not to mention Baggins’ Books! As you say, always something to impress.

• Reply by Glenda

I never tire of the place it doesn’t matter how busy it can get it still has its silence. I like the sweeps festival and was involved with the dickens festival for years

• Reply by Colin in Kent

Surrounded by lovely villages too. I used to love the Sweeps festival, although never been to Dickens’.

• Reply by Glenda

Dickens gets extremely busy, but worth it, i used to have a stall in the marquee so spent many a time dressed in full victorian costume, some how seemed right to walk around Rochester like that.

• Reply by Colin in Kent

Yes, I don’t think you’d have looked too out of place!

• Reply by Gill B

I’ll have you know that not all the Medway towns is grimy Colin 😂 I was brought up in Rainham from he age of 4. However Rochester is a great place but it had its red lights district over the years!!! Rainham doesn’t 😂

• Reply by Colin in Kent

I must say I’ve never made it as far as Rainham, having seen Strood, Chatham and Gillingham I felt that four out of five Medway towns was probably enough. I’ll take your word for it!

• Reply by Glenda

I don’t know where you went in Rainham or Gillingham but both have lovely walks along the estuary, and as you go past Rainham you have some lovely countryside, i come from Upchurch and know the area well, have another look and visit Rochester it may change your first impressions

• Reply by Colin in Kent

Yes, there’s lovely countryside around the towns, I just don’t like the towns. In Gillingham I regularly took my wife on the walk from the railway station to the hospital, past boarded up, cheap shops, sofas on the pavement, rough pubs, graffitied walls. I’m just not a fan of urban locations I guess.

Rochester is lovely though, and there are many beautiful walks to be had around the towns.

• Reply by Gill B

Ha ha ha!!! I get it!

• Reply by Colin in Kent

I will admit we did do a really lovely walk around there – possibly near Upchurch, taking in the river and then turning inland – so I might give in and give it another go!

• Reply by Glenda

Glad to hear it and dont forget to pop into Rochester

• Reply by Colin in Kent

Yes, can’t wait to get back there again. I must say, I came across the weirdest thing on a walk there, had come out of an alley way between fields to a tall iron fence and like a garage yard the other side, then the river. In the yard half a manikin was strung up by a hangman’s noose. I was standing taking a picture when a guy emerged from some derelict shed and started walking towards us quickly, so we beat a retreat!

• Reply by Glenda

A bit strange i wonder if that was the footpath from lower Rainham to Otterham quay., sounds as though it could be

• Reply by Colin in Kent

We walked past a sort of ‘boat’s graveyard’, lots of rotting riverboats abandoned on the foreshore.

• Reply by Gill B

Give it a go Colin!!! There is just a lot of low(er) cost pre 1919 terraced housing in Chatham and Gillingham – and my first marital home was in the former which was the only place we could afford. There are some lovely country walks around the outskirts of the Medway Towns too…

• Reply by Colin in Kent

Yes, there certainly are. We looked at some very reasonable places on the outskirts of Rochester when we were planning to move in 2014, and would probably have gone there had our current house not come up (it’s opposite my wife’s sister’s house, so won hands down!).

• Reply by Glenda

Totally agree with you i was born in Upchurch and grew up in the area. Every place has a downside nothing is perfect

• Reply by Gill B

Had some school friends in upchurch. Lovely area and good pub!

• Reply by Glenda

I still class it as home the brown jug was always good, small and quaint

• Reply by Gill B

You probably knew some of my school friends as back then Upchurch was a small village. Sandra and her older sister Angela came to my secondary school in Rainham. In fact Sandra still lives in Rainham.!!

• Reply by Glenda

Its possible i went to the village school, then onto wakely Road school, then Rainham secondary for girls. I was in Upchurch from 1958-1978, but still visited my mum, she was there for 83 yrs. I still call it home

• Reply by Gw

Looks lovely

• Reply by Glenda

Its a beautiful place, worth a visit, if you are ever that way

• Reply by Texas

Definitely noce

• Reply by Glenda

Certainly is, so much to see there, with its castle, cathedral, marina, shops and restaurants, worth a visit

• Reply by Texas

Where was that

• Reply by Texas

Lovely

• Reply by Glenda

Its Rochester in Kent it has a lot of history connected to Dickens

Add