Home Forums Women’s Health A bit pathetic really ……. But eyebrows …

Forestbather Posted 5 months ago
A bit pathetic really ……. But eyebrows …

I’ve never worn much make-up. Just mascara and Vaseline on my lips. I gave up dying my hair mad colours about 10 years ago and am now a happy grey. However I have recently realised that my eyebrows have disappeared. I never had much anyway but a recent discovery of an old photograph made me realise that I am going “bald of brow”. Lol. Apparently lots of women my age get this because of over-tweezing in the 90s but I never did this.

What can I do? I have bought an eyebrow pencil but I do loads of sport and it just rubs/sweats off. I also do a physical job so it would never last with all the sweating and heaving crap at work.

I don’t want the fake look of slugs and Scouse Brows that celebs seem to promote. I just want something resembling a natural brow back!!!!

I have heard of brow tattoos but I understand they only last 2 years. This doesn’t make sense to me as tattoos are permanent (well mine are anyway!!!). Also I think the needle would be really painful near the eyes.

Am I alone with this weirdness? If not, what is the solution? The cheaper and more hassle-free the better.

Sorry for sounding so vacuous and self-absorbed. I just want to look a bit nicer. I’ve never cared before.

15 replies
    • wren43 5th September 2021 at 9:43 am

Hi, I don’t think it’s pathetic, possibly because I have just discovered the same thing myself. After plucking my eyebrows for sges, I shouldn’t be surprised that they are giving up the ghost. Have no brilliant solutions, I’m afraid.
      Like you, I run around and try to stay fit, so that the delicately-applied, realistic-looking feather strokes using an eyebrow pencil look fine in the bathroom mirror to begin with, but they don’t last.
      I see you have a fringe too, which a couple of years ago I felt like doing, and now turns out to be quite handy in this respect too. Not planning a Michael Jackson-style eyebrow and liner tattoo – ever. So for me it’s a case of renewing the brows every so often when out and visiting the bathroom, and otherwise using a bit of eye makeup to distract.
      Sorry not to be of more practical help.

• Deleted User 5th September 2021 at 10:14 am

Is what I use it’s waterproof ✅

• Forestbather 8th September 2021 at 2:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The reviews look a bit scary. Some people said they go orange. Now I love a bit of colour, but not my eyebrows. Lol.

• Deleted User 8th September 2021 at 4:02 pm

Well that’s the first I’ve heard, I’ve been using this product for two years black/ brown colour and I’ve had no problems.

Well not every ones cup of tea 👍🏼

• HevF 5th September 2021 at 6:37 pm

Not pathetic at all! This may sound a little bizarre, but you can buy ‘stick on’ tattoo eyebrows on Amazon. I’ve not used them myself, but I saw that Mrs Hinch had used them and apparently they are quite good. Worth a try I guess x

• Deleted User 5th September 2021 at 6:43 pm

Same here! I had some thyroid related hair loss a few years ago and my eyebrows practically disappeared too. (also leg hair but that’s a bonus!)
      You’re aware of the loss but probably no-one else notices. Simplest solution is a fringe!

• Forestbather 8th September 2021 at 2:19 pm

I have a fringe but have it pulled back for work and sport. If only the pubes would disappear!!!!

• loislane 8th September 2021 at 8:43 pm

Only the ends of my eyebrows actually became sparse luckily. I use a eyebrow pencil.
        I probably would ask at a beauty parlour. They may have a solution.

• Daisychain 5th September 2021 at 6:45 pm

I have the same issue from over plucking earlier in my life. I haven’t found a solution but I’ve now stopped worrying about it. I wear glasses and have a shorter fringe that seems to take the eye away from the lack of eye brows.

• Forestbather 8th September 2021 at 2:54 pm

Hi. Brow Update!!!!

I went to Superdrug and hovered round the scary make-up stuff looking awkward and probably suspicious. A young assistant came over and asked if I needed help. (Suspected shoplifting, I guess.). She was so helpful. I’m sure she thought I was a mad old twat, but she was brilliant. She recommended this product as it is not harsh. She said that it doesn’t wipe off and is waterproof. I shall try it and report back.

• MissB 8th September 2021 at 3:26 pm

As a natural blonde my brows have always been ‘Barely there’ I never really plucked them. I use a brown dye about every three weeks…I use one made by eyelure

• Utterly bemused 8th September 2021 at 11:22 pm

My wife had eyebrow tattoos done a while back and I don’t remember her saying that it was a painful procedure. You are right to say that they only lasted for a couple of years but they did look really good.

• Shazzeroo 9th September 2021 at 11:04 am

Hi, I also suffer from fading eyebrows and eyes. They just seem to disappear on my face. I’ve recently had mine tinted, at first it was ‘scouse brows’ as my daughter says. But they are fading a bit. You can have them as light or as dark as you want. I wasn’t happy with them at first, but am getting used. Hope this helps

• CT 9th September 2021 at 7:39 pm

My eyebrows were always sparse and I always noticed they disappeared completely on photos. A few years ago I had microblading at the suggestion of my daughter and I haven’t looked back. It is extremely expensive, but you do get what you pay for and the woman who does mine in Leamington is very well regarded. I actually have mine done annually because I spend a lot of time in Spain and the sun does fade them, but I barely wear makeup these days and they make me look well instead of tired.

Add