Home Forums General 3 wheelers….spotted this last week. Who bought t...

Tambos58 Posted 2 months ago
3 wheelers….spotted this last week. Who bought these and why?

Ideal car for some of the restless ladies for their weekend adventures;)

2 likes & 20 replies
    • Cheers on toast 21st June 2022 at 10:05 pm

They could be driven on a motorcycle licence , that’s about the only attraction i can think of.
      My ex brother in law worked for a garage who had a franchise for these and told a story about one that came in with a handbrake fault and it baffled them all, it turned out that when they pulled the handbrake up it was pulling the back axle forward😂

• Linpap 22nd June 2022 at 1:04 am

Errr…why would it be ideal for us RL ladies??!! Agree something like this could take us on our weekend adventures but personally think I’d want something a bit faster/cooler/more comfortable 🤷‍♀️

• Moondaisy 22nd June 2022 at 7:04 am

My dad had one and one time with my heavy nan in the back, whilst going up a hill the front wheel lifted off the road….. he made my nan get out and walk! 😂… bless her… he could of put her in the front!

• Linpap 22nd June 2022 at 8:18 am

My great uncle had one he was known locally as being a terrible driver and never managed to pass his test but apparently you could drive one of these without it he used to drive about 20 miles into work in Cambridge each day for a while I was also working there and would catch the bus I used to stand at the bus stop and would see his rather distinctive car approaching and would pray the bus got there first but if it didn’t in the flat fens without a bus shelter or tree or anything to hide behind my uncle Harold would inevitably spot me and I had to get into his machine of potential death…

• Forestbather 22nd June 2022 at 8:25 am

You didn’t need a full licence, I think? No idea why. Not sure if it’s still true.

Maybe these are due a comeback like minis and those little fiats.

Especially with the cost of driving lessons and the delays for tests.

There – that is the limit of my car knowledge.

• backofbeyond 22nd June 2022 at 8:56 am

As Cheers said, you could drive them on a motorbike licence. Back when they were popular just about everyone could get through a motorbike test as it involved next to nothing – ride round the block and don’t knock the examiner over when he steps out in front of you for the emergency stop. The car test was its usual pot luck, much the same as it is now. So when you tired of getting soaked on a motorbike (or your girlfriend did) but your car test was proving elusive / expensive a three wheeler was the route to go. Dangerous things that way round, with the single wheel at the front. Far more stable with two at the front and one at the back.

• Will998 22nd June 2022 at 11:38 am

When we were teenagers, there was a lady used to visit my pal’s parents in one.
      So we all thought it would be a laugh to lift it up in the air and put several bricks below each wheel. It was so light!!
      Then we hid in the bushes to see the reaction when she came out to try to get in now that it was a foot higher off the ground.
      And hence, the idea for modern 4 x 4 vehicles 🤔 😃
      After lots of sniggering, we had to rescue her in case she tried to drive it off and do a nose dive onto the tarmac. It would probably have just broken into pieces.

Story 2…A guy who worked for my dad owned one as he only had a motorcycle licence.
      I was quite handy with the spanners so he asked me to fit a new clutch for him.
      That was an interesting task. Lol
      He eventually did sit his driving test though and progressed to 4 wheels 😃

Add