Home Forums History & Nostalgia 1940’s Christmas in The Prefab Avoncroft Mus...

• 1940’s Christmas in The Prefab Avoncroft Museum Bromsgrove

Attachments:
    Posted by Josie The Black Country Wench
    • Reply by Gardener52

Looks like my Nans house

• Reply by Josie The Black Country Wench

It is were I used to work as a volunteer. I was a costumed first person interpreter. Loved being a woman from 1947 every Wednesday.
        I particularly liked all the elderly people who came and would talk to me about what it was like to live in a prefab.
        I dressed that room up for the regular Christmas event, that my friend and I would host as though we lived there and were having a party. We were a costumed vintage street theatre duo. We had such fun.

• Reply by Gardener52

I work with that age group and I can see how the nostalgic room settings would be so nice and take them back to happier times .
          Vintage venues and markets and events are huge now

I love vintage events and vintage clothes. I wear a mash up of present day, 1940’s, hippie and 1980’s does 40’s clothes. Can’t beat a good 1940’s coat and hat. Such glamour.
          They used to bring the alzhiemers group into the prefab. It was called suitcase memories. It was so good to see those men and women suddenly remembering and talking about the past.

• Reply by Gill B

I remember the crepe paper and the bells made of concertinered (?) tissue (may have made up a word there)!

We were very fortunate that we had donations from the public, surprising what people keep. The Christmas tree was a gift and all the decorations on the tree were too. All from that time period.
        I loved that building, I was responsible for taking care of it and making sure that everything was authentic. I had loads of help from my boss who was the museum curator. I also had free reign on Wednesday to create chaos. My alter ego Dot was in her element.

• Reply by Gill B

😂

• Reply by Gardener52

I love this …. I bet Dot was a scream ! Well done lovely job to be apart of bringing tiny respite moments to dementia visitors

• Reply by Gardener52

I know what you mean to say ! I love the baby sham glasses anyone remember them ? My granny used to keep all her glasses in a cute little display case it was a shiny treasure trove I have her button tin and every now and then I open it have a sniff and it takes me right back to her

• Reply by Carol.L

Oh yes, the Baby sham glasses with bambi on them…and Cherry B too!

• Reply by Gardener52

Yes Cherry B ..wow forgot about them ..I used to watch my family and think they were so chic having a cherry on a stick simple times when I was wowed by a cherry on a stick 😂 and 3very party had vol au vents or potted shrimp !

• Reply by Marica

You can still buy Babycham and possibly Cherry B, carol, but it is not easy to find

• Reply by Carol.L

Too sweet for me now I think, my tastes have changed!

• Reply by Gill B

Oh as a child I loved my mums button tin!!!

• Reply by Sylvia

I still have mine 💕 from matinee homemade jackets, school uniforms and cub scouts
          Also pre marriage treasure from my teenage dressTruly, those were the days😊 Count myself blessed to have lived them

• Reply by Marica

I still have a button box, Gill! I think it is a throwback from those days

• Reply by Gill B

My sister had my mum’s button box. As to whether she still has it, I don’t know. I don’t know if she took it to the USA with her when she moved there about 28 years ago!!!

• Reply by MaggieWhite21

I have 2 button boxes from my auntie, some with new sets of 6 or 8 buttons attached to card. Lovely to look through every now and then, remembering clothes that some of the buttons were used on as a child, little bow buttons, sparkly ones, mother of pearl. Very nostalgic.

• Reply by GeorgieOak

As a teenager, I used to buy the Babysham glasses from the charity shops. Button tins are classic. I remember at home, as a child, we had a couple of small containers which were originally tobacco containers i think? A wooden outer with lid, but the inner was a plain metal container with lid. Wax crayons were kept in them – I can almost remember the smell !

• Reply by Biggles

Love your memories, very similar to mine. Christmas was so magical, one of my jobs was going to the market with my Dad to chose the tree. We spent ages choosing and then carried it home for about a mile and a half – never had a car. The untangling of the lights and testing all the bulbs, then as you say unfolding the concertinered snowman, father Christmas and robin, the rest was crepe paper twisted and home made paper chains. I spent a couple of days writing up my childhood memories, for my children, as life has changed so much and once we have gone they are lost to history. Mums button tin a total treasure trove, spent many hours sorting through it.

• Reply by Carol.L

The embroidered cushion covers are lovely too ….and the knitted tea cosy!

Avoncroft Prefab Kitchen

Attachments:
      • Reply by Gardener52

Awww the teapot with its jacket on 😊

thought you might like a couple more photos of the prefab. Because the first one seemed to evoke such wonderful memories.

Attachments:
      • Reply by Gardener52

My mum to,d me once their first house had picture rails and they couldn’t afford a wardrobe so used to hang their clothes on them all round the room I will sow her these pictures great share thanks

Glad you like them, I used to love workering there. Best volunteer job ever .And you can’t beat being someone else from a different time era for a whole day.

• Reply by Marica

Josie, you may want to watch a BBC2 programme called Further back In Time for Dinner. I only just discovered it when channel hopping as I was tired and wanted something easy to watch. But I started avidly watching as I am a 1920’s fan big time and they were going though the meals and new items introduced with a real (modern but dressed up) family throughout the 1920’s decade in this episode, wonderful . The next one is the 1930’s and then the 40’s. The thirties one is tomorrow at about 3pm and the 40’s one on Friday

Thanks Marcia, I have seen them before but may watch them again. I did enjoy them.
          On my list of PLaces to visit once I am more mobile again is Chiltern Museum of Buildings in Buckinghamshire. I want to see their prefab. I have already visit the one at St Fagans here in Wales.

• Reply by AllsGravy

Haven’t been there for decades.

• Reply by AngieDay

I visited St Fagans on a school trip and loved it, and I took my Mum there a few years ago – brought back loads of memories for her. Great place!

Add