Home Forums Local Groups Scotland North East Scotland My husband died 12 months ago and I seemed to be coping quite well but now I am back at square one – crying over nothing and wondering whether I can go on Is this normal? Reply To: My husband died 12 months ago and I seemed to be coping quite well but now I am back at square one – crying over nothing and wondering whether I can go on Is this normal?

Reply by gordon.rae1

My partner died just over three years ago and the process of managing how I feel can change daily. Most days now I remember our time together with pleasure and I can look at photographs of her without being reduced to tears but, I have also come to realise that my  thoughts and feelings are ‘managable’ because I choose to allow myself to visit those feelings. What I can never defend myself from are the feelings which come unsolicited. And that can happen anywhere, anytime. But it’s alright because it tells me that she continues to exist in a part of me over which I have no control. And I think it’s the part of me that loves without understanding why. My hope for you is that you will find a strange comfort in those moments of deep sadness.