Home Forums Local Groups Scotland North East Scotland My husband died 12 months ago and I seemed to be coping quite well but now I am back at square one – crying over nothing and wondering whether I can go on Is this normal? Reply To: My husband died 12 months ago and I seemed to be coping quite well but now I am back at square one – crying over nothing and wondering whether I can go on Is this normal?

Reply by CT

My husband died when we were 53 and, like you, I thought I was doing OK, but then the second year was a whole lot worse when the reality of being on my own really hit home. All I can say is hang on in there and it will get better. Staying busy was the key for me and, let’s face it, this year has not been great for keeping busy with everything closed and being told to stay home. Anything you can find to do to keep your mind occupied during the day and tire you out so that you sleep at night will help. Once life gets back to normal, join some clubs. It doesn’t matter what they are, if you don’t like them you can stop going, but give them a chance. In the meantime, fill your days with any hobbies you enjoy, whether that’s crosswords, jigsaws, painting, knitting … anything that you need to concentrate on to keep your head clear of sad thoughts. It’s OK to feel sad sometimes and it’s OK to cry, but if you can forge a new life for yourself with things to look forward to you’ll find there will be more happy days in your future.