Home Forums Jobs & Careers I’m 57, & thinking about setting up another business….gulp ! Reply To: I’m 57, & thinking about setting up another business….gulp !

Reply by Cathy

Well I set up my business 12 years ago aged 46 and it was the best thing I ever did. I stayed employed for the first couple of years and worked in my business alongside, until it grew enough for me to feel comfortable to give up being an employee. I always feel that as one door shuts another door opens, some clients that I worked for retired, or moved on but usually another one comes along shortly before or after. Having said that if my business did start to deflate, I would readily take up employment as needed. The last couple of years haven’t been quite as good as I would have liked, but I worked as Christmas temp for Royal Mail the last couple of years and really enjoyed it and the extra cash did come in handy. I got an email today from them saying they are starting now to recruit for Christmas but this year I should be ok. If you think you might regret not setting up a business again,  then maybe you should go ahead and take the chance. Only you can make that decision, it’s a good feeling working for yourself though, so much freedom and flexibility.