Home Forums Book Club Rest Less Book Bucket List – Discuss and recommend your favourite books of all time! Reply To: Rest Less Book Bucket List – Discuss and recommend your favourite books of all time!

Reply by cbeaumont1954

David, sounds a fascinating book. Up my street definitely. My suggested possible additions to, firstly, the non fiction list include

Philip Hoare, Rising Tide Falling Star. This is a book that has the sea and writings about it at its heart. He introduces the reader to a wonderful array of characters and his commentary on relevant literature is inspiring. Another of his books, Leviathan, about whales is also definitely a good read.

Secondly Olivia Laing’s book, the Lonely City is a rewarding reflection on the impact of loneliness. She also introduces us to some fascinating non mainstream artists as well as Edward Hopper.

For the fiction list I wondered about including

The Russian classics such as Anna Karenina (Tolstoy) and Crime and Punishment (Dostoyevsky) and more recently A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn. The latter is short which can help. All have wonderful casts of characters.

I am a great admirer of Helen Dunmore whose novels are so varied in nature. I have not read one that I did not enjoy.

Other authors worth looking at from my perspective are Andrew Miller (Pure is remarkable for its intensity and gothic quality), Patrick Gale, always having interesting relationships, and Adam Mars Jones (his latest Boxhill is in my opinion a classic).

Hope these suggestions are of interest.