Home › Forums › Jobs & Careers › after 22 years in retail buying now looking at redundancy in my 50’s › Reply To: after 22 years in retail buying now looking at redundancy in my 50’s
I am on the same song sheet as you, just 3 years further on.
very briefly , I was mad redundant after 30 years of IT work and a TUPE in the middle. Having to hand in two laptop sand a mobile phone on my day 30 really hit it home to me. Took me six months to get over it before i could get myself down to the JCP.
Here’s what helped me:
- If/when it happens, grab hold of a friend and have a really good moan for a few hours. Get it off your chest them promise them and yourself that is it.
- Sort out your finances and pensions
- Get your CV up to date , lots of help online and social media.
- Make sure you are on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter to mix with like minded people.
- If counselling is available then take it. I had 5 weekly sessions during my 30 days and it helped.
- Start spreading the word and if something comes up then take it. Don’t wait till you are pushed.
- Start talking to people and decide wat you want to move into then think and training.
- Find out what your local JCP and council offer for the unemployed.
Finally. print the above off and use as a checklist. Good luck and see you again soon.