Home Forums Jobs & Careers after 22 years in retail buying now looking at redundancy in my 50’s Reply To: after 22 years in retail buying now looking at redundancy in my 50’s

Reply by Metroman

I am on the same song sheet as you, just 3 years further on.

very briefly , I was mad redundant after 30 years of IT work and a TUPE in the middle. Having to hand in two laptop sand a mobile phone on my day 30 really hit it home to me. Took me six months to get over it before i could get myself down to the JCP.

Here’s what helped me:

1. If/when it happens, grab hold of a friend and have a really good moan for a few hours. Get it off your chest them promise them and yourself that is it.
  2.  Sort out your finances and pensions
  3. Get your CV up to date , lots of help online and social media.
  4. Make sure you are on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter to mix with like minded people.
  5. If counselling is available then take it. I had 5 weekly sessions during my 30 days and it helped.
  6. Start spreading the word and if something comes up then take it. Don’t wait till you are pushed.
  7. Start talking to people and decide wat you want to move into then think and training.
  8. Find out what your local JCP and council offer for the unemployed.

Finally. print the above off and use as a checklist. Good luck and see you again soon.